Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change the rear springs. Its sitting too low, and the tires are 'chambered' in. The question is: do I need a spring compressor to get them out? I know the front ones yes. Also where can I find springs beside the dealers in Canada? I want to go stock high...
Thanks

Attila

85 p-type

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Hey Attila, i'll be replacing my shocks and springs next month with Tokicos and Eibachs from shox.com for about $690 Canadian.. im going to be renting a spring compressor from crappy tire for about $200, you get the cash back when you return the compressor.. I haven't done it before, so it should be an interesting experience, specially considering I have barly any garage space...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Andrew
Its free to borrow a spring compressor from CT, but they will take your credit card #, just for safety reason... The CT in bells corners only has a broken one, don't go there.
I just want to get regular springs, but I have not started to call around yet.
I want to change the shocks/struts too, maybe later this spring.
I have not decided what kind either.

·
Founding Member
6,289 Posts
Spring compressor is not necessary on the rears. I have done this many times. Just put a jack under the arm, disconnect the axle shafts and the shock and let the jack down. Eventually the spring will wiggle out. The TSRM says disconnect the brake lines but I never have needed to. Its really a close call tho, especially if you accidentally let the jack down too far so watch the brake lines while you're doing it and disconnect them if needed.

Phil

low, and the tires are 'chambered' in. The question is: do I need a spring compressor to get them out? I know the front ones yes.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Attila said:
I want to change the shocks/struts too, maybe later this spring.
I have not decided what kind either.
I purchased Monroe sensatrac shocks and struts from CT. They are on sale right now Buy 3 get 4th free. These shocks are comfortable for cruising but they stiffen up when the car is driven more aggressively. Several list members are using them with good comments. Also you should check out the sonic site(Supra Owners Network In Canada) Founded by Reg Reimer in Calgary. He swears by the stock rear springs to control his 400rwhp 7Mgte MK2. He has tried every combination. Even took the car to Cali for tuning. I was planning on stock rears and eibach front (for an aggressive rake) now I am waiting to see if anyone does the civic coilover conversion that TomD has been mentioning.
-Wil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts