Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinking about rebuilding my motor and was wondering if there were better pistions (than stock) to use that would hold up good for a turbo. will the pistons work from a 7mgte in my 5mge? pleas dont reply with, why dont you just swap a 7mgte motor. not looking for that kind of advice. any ideas? thanks
-alan

·
Registered
415 Posts
pistons

pistons can be found about anywhere .. common brands are JE, Wisco, etc.

forged on the other hand is a bit harder to find and in most casesare not shelf items... and a bit more expensive..

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Just put in a 7mgte :p Sorry,had to be the 1st to say it,just because you said not too.Plus,I'm in an obnoxious mood tonight. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
7,300 Posts
<----Think's Shawn is another post ho wannabe :D

7mgte pistons will not work in a 5m because of the valve reliefs. If you don't want stock you're best bet is a set of aftermarket forged pistons. Expect to pay anywhere in the vacinity of $600 +++ for forged piston and rings.

JE will run around $750+++, wereas Ross can be found for a little less. These figures are off the top of my head. I had a supplier with smoking deals on JE, but they realized they were loosing $$$ so they skyrocketed the price.

HTH

·
Registered
591 Posts
you could get a set of forged pistons that aren't made for this engine but for a common engine with the same bore and will fit and use properly sized valve relef saws to make your own releifs. just a thought.

·
Registered
861 Posts
You could do as the Doc said above,.. but then you have to worry about the piston pin diameter being the same. Also the piston pin height is different for each stroke combination. It's not just a matter of picking a piston that has a similar bore. Not to step on your toes or anything, but it just doesn't work that way....

Scotty

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
karaki said:
<----Think's Shawn is another post ho wannabe :D

Just trying to keep up with the rest of ya'll :mrgreen: I'll never make it though,I go thru streak of being online,or in the shop.Plus,I have kids,they keep me occupied quite often also :D

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Supra Guy Scotty said:
You could do as the Doc said above,.. but then you have to worry about the piston pin diameter being the same. Also the piston pin height is different for each stroke combination. It's not just a matter of picking a piston that has a similar bore. Not to step on your toes or anything, but it just doesn't work that way....

Scotty
but... if we can find a piston from a chevy or something that is a replacement... it might just work out to be cheaper to do it that way.
imagine.... ford or chevy pistons we could buy from summit.com and do a little machining on to fit the 5M.... could be fun, but a ton of research.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts