Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yahoo...I just purchased a pair of 4"80 watt, a pair of 51/4" 120 watt and another 80 watt amp. So that makes a total of 6 speakers plus the sub and 2 80 watt amps plus the 180 watt built into the head unit. This should do nicely :)

AIWA head unit-180 watts
2 80 watt amps
4s in the dash
51/4s in the stock rears
6x9s in the hatch
sub in the hatch

-Wil

soon to be Zoomin' and Boomin'

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sounds good!

Please post pics and a review when you are done.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Installed everything last night and it was working fine. Now the fronts have stopped so I get to take apart the dash again :( They were working fine then just stopped. Any ideas besides a disconnected wire?

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
-Wil

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went in to check and the fronts and backs have no output. They were working when I installed. I checked everything then I closed everthing up and went to bed. Now They arent. All plugs are tight and speaker connections are good. I may have reversed + and - I am going to make a test light and check the wires in the body panels.

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome
-Wil

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
one of the tinsel leads on the back of the speaker may have broken loose.

what brand of speakers are they?
sometimes no name brands, or on occasion, name brands can have this problem, and its either a pain in the ass, or time for a new speaker.

depends how handy you are with a soldering iron.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No its not the speakers unfortunately :cry: . They are new MA audio speakers. I tested the speakers and they are fine. The polarity of the connections was ok. The head unit amp is not putting out anything :? . The RCA out is working so my amps work but the 180 watt 4 way internal is not working. I dont know how to fix this or if it is fixable. The head unit is 1.5 months old. The warranty states that it must be installed by a authorized shop or no warranty and iI bought it from Ebay :x . I think I will just run the speakers off of amps and not worry about the head unit. It still plays CDs and CD-rs and radio and MP3 input. Maybe without the internal amp it will run cooler. So I will soon have 4 80 watt 2 channel amps in the back. All identical and all lined up accross the back of the back seat. 8)

-Wil

zoomin and only partially boomin

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
you could take it to a reputable stereo repair place... itll probably cost 30-150 to get fixed.

usually things like that cost about 80 bucks, often times a solder join breaks loose.

as far as install... tell em you got it done outa town :D always works for me.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahhh out of town...good idea. I called the 1-800 sevice line and it turns out that AIWA and Sony are the same :?:

-Wil

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
indeed, aiwa and sony are one and the same... much as is the way in japan.

jvc, panasonic, technics and a few other favorites are also the same company, better known as matsushita electronics... bet most of you didnt know that, so when someone tells you panasonic is crap compared to jvc, you can laugh in their face.

as for the install thing, just tell em it was installed "someplace in vancouver, i cant remember the name" and 99% of the time, with such a large market, they wont even bother looking, because there are a ton of 'authorized installers' there.
and if you feel bad about it, just ask a trained installer to look over your install and tell you if its ok, then ask him to back you up with the company.

sonys pretty reliable with fixing things like this, so i dont see it being a problem, although you might have to mail it away to a service center if there isnt one in calgary.

best of luck to ya :)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I just attempted plan "B" I purchased 3 more 80 watt amps so I have 4 matched amps mounted across the back of the back seat. It looks awsome 8) Hooked it all up and everything powered up...but then one of the front speakers started cutting in and out :? When I checked it the tweeter was too hot to touch. :shock: The polarity of the wires is correct I double checked before I powered up so it is a defect in the speaker itself. :mad:
I am hoping they will just replace the one speaker and not make me uninstall the other one. I am getting so tired of taking apart the dash. And to think 1 month ago I had never done it before :roll:

Time for bed its 4:15am

-Wil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts