Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to replace my shift knob (blue) with a leather knob that looks close to oem. If not the shift pattern, a TRD or Toyota logo, or just plain would be ok. Anyone have any recommendations?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Get the black TRD (there is one shaped similar to the orignal with a shift pattern embossed on the top) and buy a matching black leather shift boot. The console panel at the radio is black and it fits right in.

BonnieBbuttons on ebay makes a nice inexpensive leather shift boot, or black originals are still available from Toyota, I think. There are several vendors for black leather shift boots. Black knob, black boot matches and looks sharp.

·
Registered
471 Posts
OEM without the leather ftw! :[

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Momo, matches my wheel and dash.

·
Premium Member
8,209 Posts
2nd the motion Black Leather TRD knob!!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Shown on page 3 above is actually a recovered original MK2 shift knob, I believe. The TRD model has the shift pattern embossed in the leather.
yep, thats my knob. if you really have your heart set on a blue knob, go to your local upholstery shop and try to find a good leather match. send your knob and the blue leather to Pete and let him redo it.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input. Won't go wrong with any of the suggestions. I will let you know what happens when I figure it out.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got lucky and sourced a oem blue knob in great condition. just a little wear in the usual places. I am going to take it to the guy that resoles my shoes (cobbler, I think). He should be able to dye/restore the leather, I think. It doesn't hurt to ask. There are products available on the web such as leathermagic, but I need so little of the product. I hope he can help. He is kind of like the soup nazi though. It might offend him to ask for something out of the ordinary, But he does a great job on restoring shoes. I will let you folks know. I have not seen any suggestion like that yet on the forum.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have the bonniebuttons shift boot from ebay and its well made...i recommend that one too.
Ordered a blue one from redline. I will let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got lucky and sourced a oem blue knob in great condition. just a little wear in the usual places. I am going to take it to the guy that resoles my shoes (cobbler, I think). He should be able to dye/restore the leather, I think. It doesn't hurt to ask. There are products available on the web such as leathermagic, but I need so little of the product. I hope he can help. He is kind of like the soup nazi though. It might offend him to ask for something out of the ordinary, But he does a great job on restoring shoes. I will let you folks know. I have not seen any suggestion like that yet on the forum.
fail! Shoe guy was not interested and was out of a leather restorer that was the right color. Oh well, I will try a upholstery shop next...

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, I found another shoe place and he is going to redye the leather navy blue. The color chart looks like a great match. It will be done tomorrow. We'll see.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Here is how my TRD knob and Bonnie B Buttons shift boot turned out:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts