Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious I noticed in my glove compartment that the recommended tire pressure for 225/60 HR14 is only 27psi.....does this sound correct? I have always ran mine at 32psi and everything seems to be alright. should I run them at 27psi cold. I want to get the longest life possible out of these new tires.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
I run my stock tires @ 30 psi. Nice even tire wear.

On some of my previous tires, if I kept it constantly @ 32 psi, I was getting a bit of overinflation wear on the tread over time.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Thanks guys, I was about to post the same question. 27 does sound really low, but maybe I'm used to my bike tires (45psi)

·
Registered
279 Posts
i don't pay attention to that sticker in the glove box; i go by the recommended pressure on the sidewall of the tires. my recommended pressure is 44psi.

[edit]

oops, dang. that 44psi was my max pressure :oops: trust me, i don't have them aired up that high.

-Evan

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
That's actually a really bad idea. The pressure on the sidewall is the maximum pressure that can be in the tire. The only time you should inflate it that high is on something like in AutoX where you want to keep the tire on the rim during hard cornering. On the street its just going to where the center of the tire out.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I agree with Chris Eng - 30 psi on all four corners = nice even tire wear. If you air your tires up to max load pressure, you're going to end up with the middle part of the tread wearing out before the outside edges.

44 psi is WAY too much air.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Agreed.....

44 psi WILL = MAJOR overinflation wear!!!! It won't be long before the center tread will be pretty bald!!!

Back down to 30 & things will even out!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
i haven't aired them up to 44 psi, right now i have them around ~38psi. i dunno about you guys, i had a roofing nail stuck in my left rear a month or so ago, and the pressure had dropped down to about ~28 psi; i don't know how to explain it, but the tire just looked so under-inflated at that pressure.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
i was told that you should run your tires as low as you can for autocross to put as much rubber to pavement, at one event a guy marked my tires and said i could go lower, i run mine and 28-30 at events and 30-32 for the road....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts