Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started her up last night after seeing a movie and my "battery light" stayed on. its the red light to the left of the volt meter. Usually comes on with key and off when engine is running but its staying on, the volt meter says im charging over 12v. Also it drops with my blinker and come up as i rev. Second is that the e-break light stays on, never happened before, however does get a little brighter when the hand break is indeed "on".

Think its my alt going out? short somewhere? cars angry im driving my truck as a DD again?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Cordell

·
Registered
5,448 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah thats what i thought. its one of those "well if it broke might as well upgrade" things :)

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well didn't get a chance to upgrade, had to slap on an alternator from my old car. It red lights went off but it was having trouble staying over 12v with lights on. drove her about 20 min and let sit idle with everything off another 30 or so while i messed around. Shut off and right away wouldn't start back up. Could it be the alt? battery only about 7 months old, could it be toast?

·
Registered
177 Posts
When my power steering hose got a hole and pissed on my alt my batt light was the first to come on then everything else died so i would say its an alt problem

·
Premium Member
6,133 Posts
Sounds like battery connections. New/different Alt is charging, thats why both lights are no longer lit..... Not holding 12 volts like you describe is usually connection issue. Drive it to a Schucks/Oreillys/Pepboys/Autozone and have em put charge tester on car.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Make sure you charge the battery up good before though, with a plug in charger. Kinda sounds like then new one you put in doesn't work. The old one did, but was triggering the light.

The charge light doesn't mean that an alternator is good, or bad. Just another indication that there is a problem.

I'd take the one that turned the light on(or both) to a shop that repairs starters and alternators, it shouldn't cost too much to fix. These old ND alternators are pretty reliable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts