Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

Funny thing happened... the short black hoze that leads directly to the hatch washer nozzel on my '83 blupra is broken (no idea how this happened). I bought the car this way... When I hit the button on the console to squirt washer fluid on the rear hatch I noticed nothing came out so I assumed the reservior was empty, except a few seconds later I saw some liquid dripping down from the rear ceiling!!!!! Ack!!!! That's not good! So I tore apart the rear ceiling and noticed that half of that hoze that leads directly to the nozzel was severed (however the longer, transperant hoze that leads all the way to the reservoir seems fine and is connected to one end of the black hoze, and the other half of the black hoze is connected to the nozzel, but the black hoze is in two parts).

Anyway, I was curious on how to remove the nozel as it seems like a tight fit. Do I remove it from on top or from inside? Obviously I'll need to remove the spoiler first (it's an 83 with an 85 hatch & spoiler) but not sure how to approach it after that. Any tips???

- Mike

·
Registered
53 Posts
unfortunately i cant help with the nozzle,
i just thought it was funny coz exactly the smae thiing happened to me, thought the reservior was empty, until the roof lining starts to drip ahahaha

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
i'm pretty sure you'd do most of the work from teh inside. you might not even have to remove your spoiler.

try taking off the plastic on the hatch inside (if there is some, i can't remember) and see how it mounts to the hatch. might be something as simple as 2 bolts.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
washer nozzle

I just removed a washer nozzle and the trick is to realize it is held in by a retaining clip. This clip grips on the sides of the nozzle and acts like two barbs on the bodywork. I bought a door panel removal tool a long time ago at the auto parts store and it has numerous uses. In this case I used it by wedging the tool underneath the nozzle slowly from the bottom and worked it slowly upward until the tool engages the barbs and pushes them in, releasing the nozzle to your waiting hands. I like to use the penetrating oil P-Blaster because it lubes and revitalizes old rubber the best. Good luck

·
Founding Member
6,424 Posts
I was curious about the hatch washer nozzle as I've just stripped an 84 supra for painting every last thing except the window washer nozzles and was just puzzling over how best to remove them. The ones on the hood I've always busted trying to get them out and wound up replacing both the nozzles and the nozzle holders. Any tips on these appreciated as well.

On the headlight washer nozzles, just did this sunday, popped the headlights, removed the headlight and the black plastic lower portion of the headlight assembly. That gives you enough room to get a hand in to pull off the hoses. Then used a small screwdriver to pull the retaining clips sideways. Retaining clips are U shaped springs but turned sideways. Slip the screwdriver between the nozzle and the bottom of the U and pull. Last time I got to them through the holes where I took out the driving lights, but I found it easier this time to take out the headlights and get to them that way.

Phil D.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, I did manage to figure out how to remove the rear washer nozzle. Once you disconnect the rubber hoze from the inside (that is the rubber hose that leads from the inside part of the top part of the hatch to the car's roof where the hatch and roof meet) you then just grab the nozzle with your fingers and pull it off, with a slight twisting motion. Putting it on is just as simple. It just fits in there nice and snug. It's probably the only thing on that car that doesn't have at least 2 bolts and a clip holding it in! :)

Speaking of washer nozzles, what's the correct spray pattern for the ones on the hood? My '86 shot two streams per nozzle with a horizontal spread pattern. My '83 also has two streams per nozzle but the spread pattern is verticle. I suppose it doesn't make a difference, I just found it weird that the two cars were different.

- Mike

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
for those of you removing headlight washers, why not make life simple and just remove the whole headlight housing?
when i was messing about trying to readjust my headlight actuator rod thingys, i just found it simpler to undo 4 bolts and remove the whole assembly, hinge light and all :)

hth

·
3,283 Posts
Glaucus said:
Speaking of washer nozzles, what's the correct spray pattern for the ones on the hood? My '86 shot two streams per nozzle with a horizontal spread pattern. My '83 also has two streams per nozzle but the spread pattern is verticle. I suppose it doesn't make a difference, I just found it weird that the two cars were different.

- Mike
If you'll look closely at the two you'll notice the difference. they should have the little arrowhead shaped pieces partly over the hole to point the fluid towards the headlight in a somewhat cone shaped pattern.

I have one with, and one without the little arrowhead thingy.... damn buffer!!

Mike

·
Registered
417 Posts
I just redid the hatch on my Celica. The rear washer nozzle is just a simple turn and pull out deal. Not much holding in there. And compaired to everything else on the car. It is amazing they didn't use a clip or something to hold it in there. Seems to work fine tho.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts