Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Founding Member
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the best way to do this? Any tips to make it easier?

Phil D.

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
Probably razor blade, TLC, and some rubbing compound to finish it up if you want to save the paint. You could also try one of those flapper wheel thingies, I've never had much luck with them myself. If you're painting and don't care about the paint 320 sandpaper on a DA.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
I would not use a razor blade if saving the paint is your goal. Use a scraper with a perfect edge, and a heat gun. Use laquer thinner then solvent to clean off the residue once the sticker is gone. Be carefule with the scrapper on hot paint, it will get soft.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
i agree... heatguns are your friend, i used them all the time when i worked as a detailer.

get a crappy old credit card, and a heat gun, and the sticker will come right off, then some rubbing alcohol, i cant in good concience recommend anything like acetone or laquer thinner, as ive seen them both wrinkle paint.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
laquer thinner on fairly fresh paint is bad, it will remove it. But anything thats hardened for at least a couple months should survive it, just don't let more then a film of it sit on a painted surface for a long time.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I use Ronsonol lighter fluid to remove adhesive sticker stuff. Works great. Whatever you do, don't waste your money on that Goo-Gone crap. I think water works better.

Christian

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
WD-40 works on removing gooey, goopy sticky residue too.

Great big globs of greasy, grimey gopher guts.
Scott

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Find 3M automotive sticker removal.

Commonly used for automotive decals and faux wood trim.

I haven't used it in years, but when I did, it saved considerable
time than using heat.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I agree with sloppercat...I always use a hairdryer and my nails when removing any sticker 8) then goo-gone to get the rest of the sticky stuff afterwards.

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
I used a true pinstripe eraser in a low-RPM drill to remove my hatch decal. A good automotive supply/bodyshop shld have one. I repainted my car, but if you intent to keep the paint underneath, then you can compound and polish afterwards. Hopefully your paint wont be be too faded. My decal came off like butter... and I reccomend you remove your lock cylinder, which is a 2 minute job itself.

Here what it looks like:
http://www.celicasupra.com/greg85/pages/PICT0226.htm
http://www.celicasupra.com/greg85/pages/PICT0220.htm
http://www.celicasupra.com/greg85/pages/PICT0224.htm

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did it on a hot day with the sun on the hatch. Didn't take much thinking about it, I just picked it with a fingernail then pulled the decal off. In the right lighting you can still see the outline.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Heat gun, you can pick one up at a auto or hobby shop and go slow, heating each section and slowley peeling, this helps get most of the gunk off. I used paint polish cleaner (the stuff for getting sap off your paint) and then waxed it, came out just find and didnt take too long

1 - 14 of 14 Posts