Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am trying to install a working cable track for my car's sunroof. When I removed the original sunroof track it had butyl rubber or something similar adhering it to the bottom of the sunroof pan. Has anyone reinstalled a track without removing the pan?

I noticed some other members have had issues with the seal around the pan cracking, deteriorating, and leaking so I figure it is probably best to pull the pan anyway so it can be resealed. After I manage to remove and clean the pan and roof skins, what would be the best thing to use to re bond the pan to the roof? I saw somewhere someone mentioned it is seam-sealed to the roof? Elsewhere I've read to use urethane just the same as the windshield? Has anyone done this before? Any advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated!

·
Administrator
8,863 Posts
I've pulled several sunroof tracks out the top with no issue.

·
Administrator
8,863 Posts
Yes, why wouldn't it go back in like it came out? It's just screwed down in multiple spots from both sides.

·
Super Moderator
7,833 Posts
The U shape subroof track can be pretty easilly remove and install. It is shown in the TSRM :

Removing the pan is much harder. You need to remove all interior trims, and then, the securing brackets. Even with all that remove, the pan still holds solid to the roof. You have to pry it hard from a corner to break loose the adhesive. Butyl in tube is a good adhesive to reinstall, but the re-assembly process needs many hands, as you have to lift it square, hold it while securing at least one bracket each side.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do I need to use some kind of adhesive for the U-shaped track when I install it? or can i just screw it in? When i removed the track from my car it had butyl tape under the whole track? not just the area it mentions in the tsrm..

·
Super Moderator
7,833 Posts
I never added any, and I removed both of mine a least once.
Just leave the old one there, I don't think it hurts anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.