Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My radiator isn't gonna last much longer so I ordered a new one, which just arrived today. Does anyone have a step by step or online guide on removing & replacing the rad? I studied the front of the engine bay and it looks fairly easy to do.. but not having done this procedure before I'd prefer to have a reference. I don't see instructions on how to do this in the online TSRM.

I assume I will have to drain all the coolant into a container, but isn't the transmission attached to the rad also? (automatic).

If someone could give a step by step that would be great ;-)

thnx

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Step ONE and most important:

1. Flush the radiator and engine before putting in the new one.
2. Flush the radiator and engine again!
3. Flush the radiator and engine again!

I think you get the point. Use the stuff you keep in the car for a few dozen miles, not the stuff used only for a few minutes while idling at operating temperature. Flushing the engine while the old rad. is in will clear the engine of debris build-up which, if not eliminated, will begin to clog your new rad. A thorough cleaning may take up to three, or more, full flushings in order to remove all the scale and debris.

4. ALL new hoses and clamps and not just the upper and lower rad hoses. Buy new heater hoses too (located at the rear of the engine) if they show any signs of wear. Change 'em now while you're in the process, having to do it later when one blows would be a mess and pain in the ass.

Going everywhere and no where in particular.
Scott

·
Registered
793 Posts
1) Drain radiator of coolant
2) Drain trans fluid (now is a great time to change tranny fluid)
3) Detach upper and lower coolant hoses
4) Detach both tranny cooler lines
5) Remove 4 bolts on fan shroud (much easier with this out of the way)
6) Remove 2 12mm bolts holding radiator on top
7) Rad should lift out relatively easily
8) Read above about flushing VERY thouroughly
note: Now would be an excellent time to replace thermostat and gasket
9) Install rad. and fan shroud (reverse of above)
10) Refill coolant and trans. fluid (recommend dexcool and redline)
11) Burp the cooling system (use search, there are several topics)

You should be all good to go!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Follow the steps from Racer but don't forget to flush.......the radiator and engine FIRST before doing any removal. Drain coolant, fill with water and flush fluid (make sure it's the proper type), drive for a while, drain and repeat, repeat, repeat until water is clear. Then R&R all the items.

Use Toyota red coolant and distilled water (NOT tap water) and since you're in Florida it would be a good idea to use Water Wetter to keep it all running cooler.

Hot in the shade.
Scott

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
yes use toyota red not dexcool, there are a lot of gm cars gumming up after use of the dexcool, i'm sure it would probably be ok if you changed it after 24 months but with the extended use of dexcool it will eat up all your aluminum, a buddy of mine works for a chevrolet dealer and its just eat'em up. Never had a problem with toyota red, i work at a dealership and have seen cars last 5yrs and 70k, of course i dont' recommend that but everything still looked ok.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool guys.. thanks for all the advice! And if anyone else has something to add.. keep it coming :)

One question - how many gallons of coolant will I need to refill the system? (50/50 mixed with water of course).

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
A 50/50 mix might not be the best. In my MKIV I run a 70% distilled water/30% Toyota red and a bottle of Water Wetter. No problems in the Charlotte summers. Can't really recommend a mixture for the MKII in a hot climate since mine has been in rehab ever since I moved down here.

Hotter than hell.
Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts