Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys I'm posting up for my friend, hes re-building and swapping an mk1 supra rear end in his 85 corolla but hes having a hard time removing the axles.

He says hes unbolted the retaining plate but the axles do not slide out. We figured that the bearing is pressed in and is what is holding it in place.

What is the proper procedure to remove the axles in the mk1 solid rear?

And also, do you guys have a link to the MK1 TSRM for our future reference?

thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
use a slide hammer

some guys have success with bolting a drum on backwards and hitting it with a hammer but obviously the mk1 has discs so thats a no go

IIRC the MA45's ive seen (celica xx's) had double row axle bearings so it can be a PITA.

here is a pic, you bolt on the attachment that looks like a chickens foot to the hub and hammer the axle out

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ya tried the slide hammer.... i went at it for like 20 mins it didnt budge... i don't know if its because the axle is not on the car and doesnt have a solid grounding but i wacked that thing god damn hard and it didnt move... it was a 15lbs slide hammer....

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
2 trucks and 2 chains?

In all seriousness, if you get it propped up at a good angle and have someone hold the housing, you should be able to use the slide hammer to get it out. Also don't forget to wear gloves (garden ones are best) so you do not pinch your hands (it really hurts, I know).

·
Registered
218 Posts
have you taken the housing off the pumpkin and removed the c clip inside the differential? if you havent you could be just bending stuff.

now that is from a chevy but in most rwd cars are similar. if you have any questions pm me.

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I brought this up as a possibility. Does anyone have a link to a TSRM to confirm this theory? I have not seen it myself yet.

·
Registered
218 Posts
if you are talking about my post it is what the manual says and what i do most all day when i rebuild rear ends.

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so the mk1 supra has c clips holding the axles inside the gear housing, you are 100% sure about this?

not chevy, 1980 toyota celica supra.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know 100% that it doesnt have C clips... The pumpkin doesnt come off... its one part with the housing. The 3rd member comes off but it will only come off when the axles are out. there are like 10 bolts holding the 3rd member in (the 3rd member is the unit that holds the differential that slides into the axle housing to drive the axles.) It would be impossible to have C clips....

Its almost coming down to 2 trucks having a tug-o-war.

·
Registered
218 Posts
thats is the lock i was talking about. huh it is almost like i know what i am talking about huh?

·
Registered
24 Posts
thats the bearing lock for the differential. See 41315 thats the nut it locks for the bearings to give the back lash of the diff. I'm gunna take a picture tonight.... YOU CANT ACCESS THE DIFF AT ALL INLESS THE AXLES ARE OUT!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Does not, at least the '80 and '81 don't. Years ago I swaped axles with a parts car (instead of replacing the bearings.) I built my own slide hammer and had no problems, poped right out and slipped right back in. Hey did you remember to remove the 4 bolts? :duh: LOL
Hey Harris just did this and has some good pictures. Here is the link!

http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=41694&page=8

·
Registered
24 Posts
ya man 4 bolts are taken off and the plate is free. all the nuts stripped so i had to heat them and use DustOff (Upside down to spray super cold liquid) to cool them n used ViceGrips to take them off. all the bolts are off even the 3rd member bolts are off.... they are really sized in.

How did you make the slide hammer?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I welded a threaded rod to the adjustment end of a pair of vise grips, found a one pound cylindrical chunk of metal (maybe a bushing or something) it had a 3/4" hole in the middle, sliped it on and then found a very heavy washer 3/8" thick and put a nut on the end, crude but effective. Oh and I just put a lug nut on the axle bolt and clamped the vise grips to it and yanked away!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok so the only way that worked to take out the axles were to chain it to a car and then chain the other end to a heavy duty metal post that was cemented into the ground. So far we got 1 axle out... We broke the links we had and didnt have enough bolts to do the other side.

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
we also need a car with more torque lol

Seans caddy will get it off. Next monday we will try again!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts