Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wanting to know if anyone has removed and installed the hatch galss. I have a 85 ltype with a perfect hatch. well I found a 84 p type with the big spoiler but I have to change the glass due to the hole in the glass, plus the defrost hearter is in better shape. I need to know the easiest way to do this.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have seen windshields removed using piano wire. Two folks, one on either side of the glass, use vise grips and cut the rubber by sawing with the wire. I imagine you can cut the rubber with a knife. It would be a good idea to replace the 20 year old rubber anyway. I don't have the car in front of me, but I think you can work the molding out from the inside lip and remove it that way if you want to save the moldings.

Try any of the above on the throwaway glass first.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Removal isn't too difficult but installation can be a little tricky. To remove, work from the inside and remove the glass to the outside of the hatch. What you need to do is push the rubber gasket outwards. Start in the center of a side and pry the rubber inwards toward the glass and outwards to the outside surface of the hatch/glass. Understandable? You may even be able to do this with just your fingers. I can't remember exactly how I did it since it was done atleast 6 years ago. After it's started and you have a short section pushed thru the rest will simply slip right out.

Install is opposite. Installing the first 2 or 3 edges is pretty easy, it gets tricky towards the end when you have only one side unseated. You need to squeeze the gasket into it's seat, yet the glass doesn't want to let you do this. Take time and take it easy so to not break the glass...though I doubt it would break but could chip. I BELIEVE that I installed all the edges and left a lower corner as the final section to re-seat. I BELIEVE that is what I found to be the easiest. Again, can't exactly remember all the details since I tried a few different approaches all those years ago.

Raise you glasses.
Scott

·
Registered
733 Posts
Install trick: Put electrical wire in the gasket groove, where the gasket will meet the inside edge of the hatch. Position the glass/gasket, pull the wire out from the inside, work around, pulling on one of the loose ends of the wire. It will pull the gasket/glass into place. You may need a helper on the outside to put gentle pressure on the glass. Start from the middle, not the corners.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Well I've removed mine a few times and it's not hard if you do it right. To remove it. Take out all of the mouldings that go around the window. After that it will come out really easy. Get a plastic window tool. You can get them at most glass companies. Once all the mouldings are off. Push on one of cornners of the glass. Till it comes out of the hatch frame. Wedge the plastic tool between the hatch frame and the rubber. Then work your way around and it will come right out. To put it back it is easy except for the mouldings. The glass will go back in really easy. But the mouldings are a little harder. Once the glass is back in. Lube the crack were the mouldings go with silicone spray. I tried other lubes and silicone spray is the only thing that works really well. After it's all lubed up. Insert one of the moulding cornners into place. Then slide the straight mouldings into that cornner. Put another cornner moulding piece in place on the other side. And slide the mouldings into that cornner moulding piece. Put another cornner moulding in place and slide the straight moulding into it. Then finish up with the last cornner moulding and the last straight piece. When you slide the straight pieces into the cornner mouldings. Make sure you only slide them into the cornners about a 1/4 of an inch. This will make it easier to slide the other moulding in from the other side. Once all the mouldings are in place. You can move them around a little bit. If they are not exactly square on the rear hatch.

·
Registered
306 Posts
sloopercat said:
Install trick: Put electrical wire in the gasket groove, where the gasket will meet the inside edge of the hatch. Position the glass/gasket, pull the wire out from the inside, work around, pulling on one of the loose ends of the wire. It will pull the gasket/glass into place. You may need a helper on the outside to put gentle pressure on the glass. Start from the middle, not the corners.
this is the answer, did this about a month ago, works like a charm, even just used a twine instead of wire.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Also, if you want to tint your rear window, this is the time to do it. It will come out clean with no visible film edges. I tinted all 3 rear windows out of the car, and you can't see any edges.

Christian

·
Registered
653 Posts
you guys should watch MY CLASSIC CAR theres alot you can learn from watching it. there was one episode that showed how to install a glass and they used the same trick that sloopercat mentioned .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts