Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
If you remove them, you might try a li'l bleach in a wash, then re-dye the gray to bring them back to life.

·
Founding Member
6,408 Posts
Since you have the striped pattern, I'd be afraid to try bleach. Its one thing to re-color the solid shades on the bolsters, that's been done before, but its going to be the center sections that are going to be the issue. I washed a set of seat covers a LONG time ago, no bleach, just ordinary laundry detergent, and they came out ok EXCEPT that the stripes were worn away and faded rather unevenly. I spent HOURS with some fine tipped permanent markers trying to carefully doctor up the faded and worn stripes on the driver seat. I wasn't happy with the results, 10 footers at best, and wouldn't try that again. Your stripes are already worn where people have sat and rubbed their butts and I'd be afraid any bleach would just make it worse. Luckily for me, one of our members came through with another set of seat covers in far better shape and I just threw out the failed permanent marker experiment. I think once the striped pattern is gone, their gone. Your passenger seat might can be saved, but the driver seat looks like much of the striped pattern is already worn away. There's actually missing fabric there. It's not just faded. Maybe find another passenger seat which will have far less wear and tear, wash that cover and swap it over to your driver seat.

Reactions: Fritz

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since you have the striped pattern, I'd be afraid to try bleach. Its one thing to re-color the solid shades on the bolsters, that's been done before, but its going to be the center sections that are going to be the issue. I washed a set of seat covers a LONG time ago, no bleach, just ordinary laundry detergent, and they came out ok EXCEPT that the stripes were worn away and faded rather unevenly. I spent HOURS with some fine tipped permanent markers trying to carefully doctor up the faded and worn stripes on the driver seat. I wasn't happy with the results, 10 footers at best, and wouldn't try that again. Your stripes are already worn where people have sat and rubbed their butts and I'd be afraid any bleach would just make it worse. Luckily for me, one of our members came through with another set of seat covers in far better shape and I just threw out the failed permanent marker experiment. I think once the striped pattern is gone, their gone. Your passenger seat might can be saved, but the driver seat looks like much of the striped pattern is already worn away. There's actually missing fabric there. It's not just faded. Maybe find another passenger seat which will have far less wear and tear, wash that cover and swap it over to your driver seat.
thanks im assuming ebay would be the ideal place to find a seat?

·
Founding Member
6,408 Posts
In addition to watching ebay, post a wanted ad here on this forum, specify the year and color and your location. Many of our members, myself included, have wrecked Supras or hoards of parts that they don't actively try to market, but may reply to a wanted ad. You're best bet will be if somebody not too far away and you're willing to come get it so be sure to include your location and say something like willing to come get it within X miles. Otherwise suggest removing the fabric and shipping just the cover. Maybe someone would do that for less than the cost of shipping a whole seat.

·
Registered
408 Posts
there is places that clean hockey equipment and they put them in this like huge oven and spray them with a disinfectant, maybe they can do the seats it gets rid of mold germs or whatever... like a oxy type process,

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I had mold in some seats about 5 decades ago and nothing would kill it. What a nightmare! Someone older and wiser said to just take them out of the car on a warm sunny day and leave them sit in the sun. Worked like a dream! Now I'm older and wiser so give that a try. Mold isn't dirt, it's a fungus, so cleansers don't work as well as sunshine..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts