Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so i'm kind of at a loss right now because this car is my first build and on day 1 I am totally stuck. I got the drivers seat and passenger seat out quite easily and even the top part of the backseats but the tabs that you're supposed to pull to lift them up are broken. We've tried wedging it and pulling but I dont want to break anything or pull too hard. Anyone know how to help??

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I'm just heading out to work so I can't take any new pictures, but:

Outerwear Textile Purple Sewing Material property

This is the rear seat bottom clip.

Hood Grille Automotive exterior Wood Automotive lighting

The oblong slot where the loop/flat spring sits.

Wood Textile Sleeve Orange Automotive tire

The location of the slot with the upholstery partially covering it (of course, just to make it harder to get to).

When you pull down on the latch, you are pulling the horizontal wire so that the vertical loop pulls to the front (I accidentally said to the rear at first: sorry).
IIRC, the mounting point is a slot in the floor so you have to push down and forward on the seat bottom which partially disengages the loop and flat spring from the rear of the slot.
Then by pulling the loop forward it moves it enough to the front that when you release pressure on the seat bottom, the seat pops up.

I don't think that the bent portion of the flat spring actually goes all the way through the slot. I think just the loop/flat spring goes in and provides tension on the front of the oblong slot. I think the top bend actually prevents the flat spring from going in all the way, but I could be wrong!

If you find the left/right position where the loop/flat spring is, I'm sure you can get a piece of wood or a screwdriver in to pull the loop to the front. If you can't reach the loop, I think that you could snag the horizontal wire that the loop is attached to and when you pull it forward you will pull the loop forward as well.

I think everyone has trouble with this. The parts stay in the hole so long, I think a bit of oxidation causes the parts to stick together a little bit. Once you have removed the seat once, it seems to get easier to remove.

Like you say, you don't want to overdo it, but you do have to be firm.

I hope this gets you started.

Dale

·
Premium Member
4,063 Posts
okay so i'm kind of at a loss right now because this car is my first build and on day 1 I am totally stuck. I got the drivers seat and passenger seat out quite easily and even the top part of the backseats but the tabs that you're supposed to pull to lift them up are broken. We've tried wedging it and pulling but I dont want to break anything or pull too hard. Anyone know how to help??
It's a real PITA the first few times you do it. Took me about a week to get mine out, and it was only after several members here came to my rescue that I was able to pop them loose.

- Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts