Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to replace the Vacuum Controlled/Assisted Heater Control Valve (which has been bypassed on my Supra for about 2 years now) with a simple mechanical push/pull one out of a 91 Cressida.

This is not really a mod for those of you wanting to keep your Supra stock, or if you want to keep the electronically controlled wizardry that rarely (In my experience) works after 25 years.

I will mention that this would require a bit of modification, and a bit in my book probably is a lot in others.

You would have to route/run/install a throttle type cable and mount it as well as modify the climate control temp. lever to accept the end of the throttle cable.

I don't know if a braided/soft throttle cable would work, or if you'd need a solid push/pull wire one like the rest of the climate control uses (Fresh/Recirc; L - R floor vent control etc).

THIS WILL REPLACE.. (Item 87240 in both pictures) (91 Toyota Cressida pictured)

THIS (85 Supra pictured)

Begin Keywords
Modify, replace, upgrade, heater, climate, control, bypass, temperature, coolant, vsv, dvv, valve

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I would just manualy open or close the valve by hand when you need the heat off. Or use a older ford vent cable as it will be long enough to route all the way to the climate control. Or buy a manual choke cable from any parts store.

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would just manualy open or close the valve by hand when you need the heat off. Or use a older ford vent cable as it will be long enough to route all the way to the climate control. Or buy a manual choke cable from any parts store.
That's the plan, to simply open/close it by pushrod cable...

Use the MK3 supra one. It has a 2 wire vsv that cuts vacuum. That way you could just use a switch instead of a cable.
I'm not screwing around with more vacuum lines. Less lines means less chances for a boost leak somewhere else. A switch WOULD be nice, however it would still only give me on / off, I want to be able to adjust the heat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts