Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rust free hatch that I need to have painted and put on my car. Since the hatch is not on the car and I can transport it to a body shop, what is the best way (practical way) to treat and prep the hatch so it doesn't rust at the seam sealed by the glass weatherstrip?

Seems like I heard that it needed to be welded all around instead of the tack welds from the factory, but wouldn't that cost like, an arm and a leg? Anyway, guys, I'm open for suggestions on how to have this done right. The car is an '82 and I have a replacement original style decal waiting to go on it. Of course I will paint it black as the original.

The hatch came from a car that had been rear ended and repaired and the hatch I got was the Toyota replacement body part, so it's probably only 10 years old or so. I just want this to last. As of now, this hatch is white with the billboard decal.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
is there glass in the hatch? the best way to do it would be to remove the glass and treat or fix any rust in the channel that the glass sits in.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is glass in the hatch but no evidence of a spot of rust anywhere. I was thinking about replacing the rubber with an '84 style that doesn't have the metal inserts. If no rust is found when the rubber / glass is removed, should I just have it primed and painted?

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
i do remember i think it was pdupler saying what you mentioned before about welding the seam or something along those lines.. ill have to search for it. but yea, a good primer and paint.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts