Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all let me just say that I am EXTREMELY frustrated with my car. I bought an 84 Supra 5-speed transmission in hopes of converting my automatic to a 5-speed. Well my mechanic bailed out and now the tranny is in the for sale section of these forums. Go figure. I called anywhere and everywhere within 50 miles of Philadelphia and found an automatic transmission from Future Cars in Coplay, PA. Cool. I went there to pick it up and there was no torque converter or kickdown cable in the tranny. So the owner says, 'Well, there's an 82 Cressida tranny that will work exactly the same. It'll bolt right into your car with no problems. All I have to do is replace the tail of the Cressida with the tail of the Supra.' Cool.. $250 plus tax and I'm on my way home with my new tranny. Phone call to mechanic: 'Hey I got an automatic Cressida tranny for my car. Get to work.' Mechanic: 'Cool tow that sucker over here.' Car got towed 2 days ago. Today my mechanic calls and says, 'The Cressida tranny will bolt in no problem.' Me: *relief* Mechanic: 'Just a couple problems. The shift linkage on the Cressida tranny is in a different spot than the Supra tranny, which means I will have to fabricate a linkage for it. The dip stick is in a different spot too, so I don't know if it will be blocked off by the exhaust or something else under your car. Also, one of the plugs on the Cressida transmission has 6 connection holes in it. The same plug on the Supra only has 4. Also, the oil cooler lines are in a different spot on the Cressida. What do you want to do?' Me: :mad:

WTF?! So my question is.. has anyone ever replaced an 85 Supra trans with an 82 Cressida trans? Can it be done? Do I really have to change all this crap around? Or, since I have a 90 day warranty on the Cressida trans, should I call the idiots back who sold it to me and just take the Supra transmission without the torque converter and kickdown cable? I'm stuck :x

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
You'll need to check to see EXACTLY what tranny it is that you purchased!!!!

Your 85 has the A43DE tranny, which is the electronically controlled tranny. 82 Supra Automatic's have the A43DL, which is not the electronically controlled tranny. Since you also mentioned that it came from a 82 Cressida, would you happen to know what motor was in the Cressida??? I can't remember if the 82 MX Cressida's still had the 5ME/A43D Automatic setup, or the 5MGE/A43DL Automatic setup. If you still have access to the 82 Cressida, check the firewall dataplate & see what the tranny code says.

If you want to keep this easy, the best thing to do is to find any 83 - 86 MKII Supra that had the Automatic, all of them used the A43DE Automatic, this way, it's a very easy swap. If you are trying to swap in a A43D, or a A43DL, then you might run into a few problems. Like "why are the tranny ECU plugs different"???

Good luck..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Toyota yard that sold me the trans is going to install it. He says he's been working on Toyotas for 17 years and he's absolutely sure the Cressida trans will work, so if he screws it up it's his own fault and he owes me a new tranny :) I don't have access to the Cressida because the trans was already out of the car and sitting on a table waiting to be bought. It's supposed to be finished by Thursday, so I'll let you know what happens.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts