Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick questions:

The Chiltons manual states that the lower control arm and ball joints are one piece on the supra, so what is one supposed to do to install the PST ball joint? Hacksaw the old ones off the lower arm?

Also, what's the best way to remove the tie rod end, also being replaced w/ a PST part?

I'm spending some time installing my PST's, KVR cross drilled rotors, kvr carbon/kevlar brake pads, coated SS brake lines, and a whole hell of a lot more this week... can't wait to get back on the road. :)

Thanks a bunch...
Tom

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Are they a press fit...Some bushings etc are pressed in with a hydaulic press. Maybe the same for our ball joints?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure but it didn't seem the same as the control arm bushings which were def. press fit. Solved removing the old ones with a blowtorch and installing the new ones with a makeshift press (wood clamp and some 1"x2" pieces of wood.) I read something on the other forums about there being a lock ring on the ball joints that might make removal pretty easy and then another suggestion about whacking them with a hammer... Looking for something more concrete than that tho...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, after a shop turned me down for pressing out the old ones, I took a closer look, dremeled the snap rings slightly, bent them until they popped off and then a light whack with a mallet popped them out. easy. :)

now however, I can't seem to remove or even loosen the inside rear control arm bolts. not even with a massive breaker bar with a jack lifting it. :p I need a compressor and an impact wrench. :-D

-tom

·
Registered
247 Posts
Soak it with the spray penetrant of your choice and let it sit overnight, then spray it some more and give it a try. I've noticed a lot of really stuck bolts will work loose after spraying them with WD-40 or something and letting them sit overnight.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah I hosed em down with pb blaster two nights in a row... I managed to fuck up the alignment settings a little, so I guess the bolt moved *slightly* but I think the other side moved with it despite attempts to brace the nut. oh well... if it weren't so close to the gas tank I'd try hitting it with the blowtorch to see if warming it loosened things up any...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts