Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,250 Posts
I used the Denso 950147 pump as well. The gas tank drain takes a 3/8 " ratchet. The gasoline will come out like a fire hose! Loosen the gas cap B-4 starting out to relieve the tank pressure. It's also a good idea to crank the engine over to relieve any pressure build up in the system B-4 cracking the gas filter banjo bolts.

Do not use any normal fuel hose to connect it inside the tank. It's special and the clamps are, too.
Denso.
I had to do a small mod to the hanger insulator.
Mod.
If you leave the sending unit assemble out of the tank, it makes it easier to get the pump back into the correct position around the baffles. Pay attention during removal! Rotate, twist and tilt, not in that order.
Baffles are in the way!

Reactions: AJ

·
Registered
1985 P-type, manual
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Found this one while I was browsing your list. Good pics and tips on how the fittings turn.

·
Registered
1985 P-type, manual
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Art Wood Road surface Asphalt Concrete

Hood Automotive tire Wheel Asphalt Plant

ok campers. I finally had time to jack up the car and get going. The tank came out just like I expected, thanks largely to the help of current and former forum members. It cleaned up nicely. Here are some some pics and thoughts.

·
Registered
1985 P-type, manual
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
I put the rear tires on ramps to get clearance. Had to jack it up as it ain’t moving itself…

Before I did that, I siphoned almost all the gas out. I jacked up the left side of the car a few inches to run all the fuel to the right edge of the tank. Probably less than a quart left when I was done.

The fuel filler screws are aluminum, and easy to round out with a screw driver, however they have a bolt head (8mm?) that saves the day. Also, the plastic filler on the side of the tank is held on by a single bolt (12mm?), accessed from the top. I had to scrape a bunch of dirt from around it by feel before the socket would fit.

I used hydraulic jack with a couple of 2x4’s to lower the tank. I put the jack under the tank, and removed the front strap bolts as well as the rear pins. I figured I might as well remove and clean the straps while I was at it. I was working solo, so I couldn’t get pics of that. since the tank was almost completely empty, it was fairly light and easy to manage.
Gesture Finger Wood Thumb Wrist

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tread Automotive design

·
Registered
1985 P-type, manual
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The fuel pump bracket came out easily, although I suspect that putting it back in will not be as easy. The pump and bracket seem shiny any almost new. There is NO marking or writing on my old pump. I have no idea how old or what brand it is. I was pleasantly surprised by how clean the tank was. I haven’t checked out the top, but the sides and bottom seem corrosion free except for a small patch in the area about where the pump sits. Guessing that is also the lowest spot in the tank…

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Fender

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Musical instrument Automotive lighting Bicycle part Gas Rim

·
Registered
1985 P-type, manual
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Gonna try to install tomorrow, and work on the filter up front too. Will post more when I can. I hope this helps someone else doing this for the first time…

·
Premium Member
6,250 Posts
It's tricky to get the pump/pick up in the right spot among the baffle! I peeked into the sending unit opening to see what I was doing wrong. Rotate, lift and turn. Oh, 4 or 5 times.

·
Registered
1985 P-type, manual
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thx Dave. Yeah, I tried to put it back in for practice, but failed. Guess it has to be jussst right for it to work. Removing the sending unit is a good idea…

·
Registered
50 Posts
Excellent pictures and description! I'm going to be dropping my tank real soon to take care of a lot of rust on the back end of my car. The outside of the tank looks great after you cleaned it up. Did you use anything special to clean it?

·
Registered
1985 P-type, manual
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Thanks! I just used a pressure washer. I was careful around hoses and electrical connections ,but otherwise just water cleaned it up. I will probably use a brush and mild detergent before I put it back in. I was expecting to have to deal with more rust. My OCD side wants to completely refurb it, inside and out. But, but that will have to be another time I think.

·
Registered
1985 P-type, manual
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Cleaning and repainting the outside of the tank today, weather permitting. Going to try a black rubberized undercoating from Krylon.

Also, I got the pump mounted onto the bracket. I tightened the nuts on the electric connections as hard as I dared. Anyone ever have one loosen over time? wondering if Loctite would work in the tank…

Automotive exhaust Gas Nickel Auto part Exhaust system

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Now that's it's all dried out try some heat

21 - 40 of 51 Posts