Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the restore I'm, among many other things, fixing/repairing/replacing air conditioner parts in hopes of solving the leak issue which was apparent before the restore. I've pulled all the parts and hoses. Since I'm in there I want to replace all the little O-Rings on all the fittings, the old one's are pretty scrunched.

I'm going to be switching over from freon to R134 when all is complete. What type of O-Rings should I use for replacement, in other words, what type of material? Nitrile, butyrate rubber, other?

If I choose to stick with R12, what type of O-Rings should be used? Thanks for the help!

Never ask your 3-year old brother to hold a tomato.
Scott

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
You should also consider shifting to one of the hydrocarbon based refrigerants (such as ES-12a, available over the net) rather than R-134 if you are doing it all yourself. Many folks who have converted to R-134 complain that it doesn't get very cool, and the compressor dies after a year or two. ES-12a works better than the original R-12.

However, the EPA has not approved ES-12a for mobile uses due to claimed safety reasons (this stuff is less flamable than R-12).

Another possible leak source is the seal on the compressor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts