Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I saw a few places where peeps have replaced the resonator (big cylindrical black plastic piece in the stock intake between the afm and the throttle body). I looked at the resonator and it is almost a straight through plastic pipe but with a slit that seems to allow air to bounce around in the bubble area (for lack of a better description). Seems like a 6.25" long piece of 2.5" pipe would work. Should I do it, anybody have an opinion??

·
Registered
77 Posts
Go for it.

If you like the new solution - keep it. If not, let it stay stock.

Of course the toyota engineers must have had a purpose with it since it was installed in the first place.

I dont have it any longer since I have stainless steel intake (cause of my turbo setup) - and i dont miss it :D

·
Super Moderator
8,394 Posts
It's there for noise reduction. You won't gain any power but you will pick up a little extra noise. Unless I'm mistaken isn't the resonator 3 to 3 1/4" in diameter at the hose? I'm pretty sure its the same size as the AFM flange which you have to stretch a 3" hose coupler over.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I think that engines sound sweet w/o the resonator on there. That little growl adds a little kick to the motor.....and that black ugly plastic rubber intake that is the stock setup is just nasty lookin.

·
Founding Member
6,423 Posts
Actually its closer to 2 7/8" but its hard to find that diameter anywhere. The problem with 3" is that the old rubber tends to split when you stretch them over. 2 3/4" exhaust pipe is available at muffler shops that do truck , rv and bus exhaust and works just fine. I did find some 2 7/8" OD pipe at a structural steel pipe supplier (like you might use to assemble a pole barn from) but it was just chance and they gave me a scrap piece but it was kinda rusty so I never used it.

Phil D

SilverMk2 said:
It's there for noise reduction. You won't gain any power but you will pick up a little extra noise. Unless I'm mistaken isn't the resonator 3 to 3 1/4" in diameter at the hose? I'm pretty sure its the same size as the AFM flange which you have to stretch a 3" hose coupler over.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Replacing your intake resonator will smooth out your airflow. Reports has it at 10% increase in airflow if you combine it with an intake. I've replaced it on my old 85 with a SS pipe from and exhaust system.

I've replaced the entire intake pipe with a steel one on my 86 for better response.

And yes it is there to reduce the induction noise. If you replace the whole pipe you will get a whistling noise at full throttle.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Good point! Stan obviously did some fairly lengthy research on the pros and cons of removing the intake resonator. The keyword here is "resonator". It's possible that the resonator is there to help smooth out the pulsations and any reversion that may take place in the intake tract by effectively tuning the intake piping to the engine. Plus, depending on how the air flows through the chamber in the resonator, it may help protect the AFM against damage from an intake backfire. At any rate, you can swap it out for a length of pipe and if you don't like the results just put the resonator back. Or perhaps check into buying one of Aaron Garneys' intake kits which has shown great results on the dyno and has replaced numerous stock intake pipes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts