Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Founding Member
6,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hatch was leaking and to compound the problem, previous owner of this blue 84 I'm trying to rescue left rags stuf'd in the spare tire well around the tire. I'm thinking to cut the rust-free well from my parts car (hatch also leaked but wise po had removed the drain plug to prevent this from happening, woohoo!) and weld in as replacement. Where is best to cut? Looks easiest to cut donor from top outside of rim and cut rusty one from below the rim. This would give some overlap for support and alignment of workpiece. I haven't removed the tank to see underneath for obstructions but I don't recall ever seeing anything in the way under there when I've dropped tanks before. Also, I see muffler shops welding in the vicinity of the gas tank all the time but wondering if its going to be safe to weld (mig) from the top without dropping the tank. Cutting would be done with air nibbler or wheel. Just trying to save a step or two if possible. Any advice from someone who's done this before?

Phil D.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
sounds like a pretty good plan, leaving that little bit should strengthen it up a lot, and if you do weld from underneath (i would) itll give you a perfect lip to weld on down there.

um, about welding with the tank in, ive done it, and it made me nervous... probably wouldnt do it again without a helper holding a fire extinguisher, but i didnt have a choice the time i did it.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
yeah I'd drop the tank. Its so easy its worth the piece of mind alone, never mind worst case scenario

·
Registered
53 Posts
yeh i would take the tank out,
when i went to have some rust fixed up in my wheel well, the panel beater guy said he would definately have to take it out.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hey Doc, the cut lines are just what you need, but I recall an old Chinese proverb that said: "He who attempts body work of this type above the fuel tank without removing it, shall find his relatives selling his Supra(s) for burial money"

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
lol, man, and i thought i was paranoid...
you guys do know that you can toss a match into a full tank of fuel and it probably wont light, its just a better idea to not weld with the tank in.

also, if you drain the tank, dont weld in the same area, even after a few days.

either drain it outside, and weld in the garage, or drain it in the garage and weld inside.
old gas can sometimes settle out, and the lighter vapors will evaporate, but heavier vapors can collect in low laying areas.
its the exact same reason propane powered vehicles arent allowed to park in underground garages.

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
Hi Phil... I think youll get a cleaner cut along the radius with the nibbler. The cutoff wheel wld be great if you were cutting a straight line. Just IMO. Your proposed cut lines look good - the overlap makes sense.

Also... I suggest dropping the tank. Its 20 minutes to peace of mind!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I thought I recognized that drum shaped object being pulled from the waters during a documentary I saw about the Titanic. :shock: That's one rusty sum'bitch!

Just an idea, but you might not want to cut it PERFECTLY round. Cut it round but with a tab at one or two points to aid with alignment. Create a cardboard, or similar, template with alignment points matched to each car. Trace out the cutting path on each car and trim. This will allow you to have perfect alignment with the replacement well rather than being a free spinning circle that could be turned to any angle.

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.
Scott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts