Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys have any favorite shops that do good work on rust in the Socal area? My supra has extensive rust damage on the sunroof and hatch (both need to be replaced). What's worse and more worrisome is that the rust has moved from the hatch into the gutters. :( See link:

http://stills.lavaworks.com/?mode=album&album=2002.05.17+-+Jasons+Supra+(rust+damage)&dispsize=640

Eventually, I would like to get the car painted but this is my primary concern at the moment. Any ideas....? Please advise.

Jason

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
I was about to ask the same question cuz my sister just put a 1 1/2 foot scrach on my driver side door and broke the braket inside of my mirror. :mad: I might also need a new front bumper and some minor minor rust on the hood.

·
Registered
151 Posts
TMBJason said:
Do you guys have any favorite shops that do good work on rust in the Socal area? My supra has extensive rust damage on the sunroof and hatch (both need to be replaced). What's worse and more worrisome is that the rust has moved from the hatch into the gutters. :( See link:

http://stills.lavaworks.com/?mode=album&album=2002.05.17+-+Jasons+Supra+(rust+damage)&dispsize=640

Eventually, I would like to get the car painted but this is my primary concern at the moment. Any ideas....? Please advise.

Jason

Jason, Hey bro that's pretty bad rust on your rear lid, I'm kind of a purist and it would be best to lead patch that, Brew some coffee 'cause you'll be researching how to DIY, Most body shops just use epoxy filler or bondo..which although underrated is still only temporary in most cases. The sunroof was one of my problems too. I passed up 20 or so 100 mile an hour tape patched sunroofs, Pulled 3 or so that looked good only to be rotten under the seal. I finally kicked down 392.31 for a nude panel at the dealer, another 50 for the seal. After choking on 400 bones what's another 50, and youd kick yourself for not doing it the old seal will most likely fail. If I were you, if you don't have a history with THIS car I'd strip it,junk it, and already have found its corrosion free south california replacement. your only 300 miles up the coast, there's always 2 or so in the auto trader

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tempest,

Hey, thanks for the sound advice. I've been kinda wrestling with that decision for the last couple weeks. I'm already about 3k :? into her and could use her for a parts car, but I don't have the time anymore to DIY. That means that I'd have to coordinate buying a new-old MK and while pulling all of the stuff (including the engine) off because I only have space for one car. I also have tons of parts that are waiting to be put on, but not until I make a solid decision.

Of course there are things that I can and will do myself, but I never have the time, tools, or know-how to do that kind of bodywork. I am about 2 weeks from graduation and then it's into the real world as a high school music educator.

Since my post, I've found a couple of shops that do great work. They all will cut out the rust and weld in new metal. The best so far is: 1 year warranty on rust work, lifetime warranty on paint for 3000. I'd have to provide all of the parts but, the others wouldn't give me a warranty on the paint and definitely not the rust. All of them will take anywhere from 1-2 months to complete the job. One paint shop said that the reason why the sunroof rusted was because of the seal-it traps moisture....that's why most new cars' sunroofs don't have seals around the outside like the supra. I'm almost tempted to go aftermarket glass sunroof and not have to bend over and take it from the dealer....but the jury isn't in on that option. How's your car running, did you paint the new sunroof yourself or did it come painted from the dealer?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey TMBJason!

Believe it or not, that rust isn't so bad...I've seen much much worse on a friends MK2. His rust was thick and peeling...it rusted in the same area you have shown but it had eaten right through the body...it had travelled up to the roof as well and the whole top part of the hatch and up to the roof was rusted right through...even the hatch itself was rusted...because the rust ate thru, he was getting leaks into the boot...and where the spare tire sat, it was rusted through in there too...even rusted where the rear lights were...water collects in that area as well...not only that, but the bottom part of the side doors were rusted a tad...all in all he had extremely bad rust problems...

But rather than getting rid of the car, he just got all the rust cut out until there was absolutely no rust anywhere, metal was welded in it's place, then treated and eventually he re-sprayed the whole car...the bumper was chipped at the bottom as well, but he got that all fixed before he resprayed...it's now competely restored and well worth the effort...

Now it looks brand new...so rather than giving up on the car, go through and fix the rust...trust me, your job is nothing compared to what I've seen done...best thing is to act on it as soon as you see it...don't let it grow. Find a reputable rust repair place and get it done...not worth throwing another MK2 into the scrap heap...keep her alive!! :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hey Jason,
Sorry not to contact you sooner but I'm swamped most of the week. To answer yor question about the sunroof panel, it comes with a black primer coating. It is a good barrier but I'm pushing it by driving with it like that. It will begin to wear if not painted soon. All my money right now is tied up in suspension parts. I'm trying to get the missus to o.k. the funds for paint. It'll be $2,000-3,000 for that if I'm lucky..doing most of the prep, and body myself. Good luck with your rig.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I have posted the same question on SoCal Supras, Im waiting for a reply, I will post here what I hear from them. If your looking for so cal info you may want to check them out:
www.socalsupras.com

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Well I can give you the name of a shop to avoid: Paintin' Place

1 - 8 of 8 Posts