Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
1985 Toyota Celica Supra P-Type
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I just checked that wire you pointed out, solid beep.

I was checking the continuity with the fuse disconnected... not sure if I was supposed to have it in. I plugged it in and there is long beep continuity at the fuse to the connector at the relay.

Maybe I should check continuity/resistance between the fuse and that wire in the pic?

Starting to scratch my head a little now lol

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Just found that when doing a wiggle test of the harness continuity breaks down.

Rechecked coil side (left) of that connector... B+.

Not sure if there is a chewed wire or a loose connection.

·
Registered
7,727 Posts
Sent you a private message / conversation 👍

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Thanks to RedP85 I have been able to isolate the issue. I want to clarify so anyone else having this problem they are able to approach it in the same way.

Concern: No spark

No voltage at thick black/red strip wire at the ignitor connector.

Jump the two connections on the switch side of the relay, and now theres spark.

Don't do what I did and just rush out and buy a relay... cheap and maybe good to have a spare but not the correct diagnostic approach. Check one more item...

Check that there is continuity between the coil side of the relay, and continuity from relay to ground. Also check voltage at coil side of relay from ignition switch/7.5amp fuse. This is where I jumped the gun and bought the relay. Showed no voltage when measured. After checking voltage/continuity of fuse and accidentally pushing against the wires at the junction box on the driver kick panel, I found that continuity was intermittent. Since my vehicle is a "rescue car" I was expecting a chewed wire from rodents. RedP85 and I talked over the phone as I was stuffed in the driver footwell and he noted that water intrusion is typical for it to flow down to the junction box. Low and behold... white/blue/greenish powder on the outside of a few of the connectors... not much, but more than enough to cause an intermittent issue for continuity.

RedP85 suggested electrical contact cleaner to get rid of the corrosion. I sprayed the ever loving hell out of all connectors once disconnected. Plugged everything back in and wiggle tested when checking contiuity between fuse and the black/red stripe wire at junction box... continuous beep from multimeter. Success!

I still cant get the car to officially "run" off of starting fluid... but the no spark issue is solved. It pop's and again there seems to be good compression. Maybe there are other problems, but theres spark!!! Fuel tank isn't on the vehicle as it is being restored right now.

A huge...huge shoutout to a complete stranger that took time out of his day to call a complete stranger and help on a car in a completely different country. Thank you dude!

So the project goes on. Pics to follow as always :)

·
Registered
7,727 Posts
Welcome!
We are here to help each others, as others have helped me before.
We share the same goal, keeping these cars on the road to enjoy them.
On to the next item of the list!

Reactions: Beernuts

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
New compressor came in! Can finally start using pneumatic tools for more than 30 seconds lol

Blue Automotive tire Asphalt Motor vehicle Gas

Also decided to see what an all black seat versus a two tone... thinking I will be doing all black. The difference in fabric lightens up the seat enough I think.

Plant Grass Grassland Groundcover Shrub

Plant Grass Rectangle Groundcover Flooring

·
Registered
2 Posts
So after stalking the forum for weeks while waiting to get this car I found a whole lot of awesome people and posts. I decided to take on this project (especially after the wife agreed!). Car has been sitting for a while... and went from the garage, to the outside with a cover and then to sitting with no cover. Car was just wasting away and I saw that the interior was still intact with no cracks in the dash. So I took the leap. As soon as it got in my drive way I inspected underneath more, and to my surprise it was nearly rust free. A bit over on the rear quarter and obviously the hatch. I knew I would be dealing with rust and I am eager to finally learn how to mig weld. I want to keep this thread open for my records and maybe I can try and contribute to this awesome community in the process. See pics below!

Pics of how I found it... sad :(

View attachment 19273
View attachment 19271
View attachment 19274 View attachment 19275
View attachment 19272

View attachment 19277
View attachment 19276

Pulling it out, getting some air in the tires and prepping for tow.

View attachment 19278

View attachment 19279

While I was waiting for the tow I hooked up a good battery up to it.... It cranked! Not only that but compression sounds good! I was very much more relieved and super excited at that point.
I did notice that the red light was on at the volt meter (I'm guessing alternator). I didn't try and start/run it since the spark plug wires were chewed and who knows what else.... but at least its not seized :)
I have the identical car including color but it is a 1984. Unfortunately, I have it in a garage and rarely drive it anymore, but it is a reliable car. The only oroblem is there is only 1 company that makes tires for this car. I believe it is BF Goodrich.

·
Registered
7,727 Posts
Terry, please start a thread in the Introduce Yourself section, and tell us more about yourself and your car. I guess you are the original owner. 👍

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I have the identical car including color but it is a 1984. Unfortunately, I have it in a garage and rarely drive it anymore, but it is a reliable car. The only oroblem is there is only 1 company that makes tires for this car. I believe it is BF Goodrich.
Would love to to pics of your car :)

I could have sworn I saw another tire brand... maybe dunlop?

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Got some little stuff done to the car the last few days. I realized that over the years I have been spoiled by my great big snap-on box, with every tool I will ever need. Since I didn't have room at my house (no garage) I have been carting tools from where my box is and have been working out of totes... extremely annoying storing all that in the car, just to remove it every single day.

Ended up buying a tool car from HF... If I never got a student discount on my snapon stuff I would have bought a HF box. I am actually surprised by the quality. It is obviously not as nice as a $16k box, but it will more than suffice in a non-commercial setting. That and at the end of the day its not the box...its the thousands of dollars in the box lol. I have to keep track of ONLY the tools that are used on toyotas... 8,10,12,13,14,16,17,18,19...etc. in order to maximize space.

I can't wait till I get a garage.

Automotive tire Waste containment Electrical wiring Audio equipment Gas

This thing needs some stickers (unlike my snap-on box). Anyone still making the celicasupra.com stickers?

Since I have been getting a bunch of rain this was time well spent getting the box in order. I also got a chance to prep everything (gas tank parts soaking in acid and such). I was going to remove the HVAC box and found that there was a small access hole on the left side. I snuck in with a borescope and it is free of debris so that saved me a bunch of time/hassle as to not remove it. Blew compressed air lightly through both sides of the evap.

All I have left for the interior is removing the headliner. The sunroof fabric has a 5 inch rip in the middle... going to have to figure out what my options are. Sun roof doesn't even open, I think I hear the motor clicking... gotta take the switch out and check for power/ground at the motor.

Still have to fiberglass the spare tire well, just waiting on some clear weather.

After the headliner/sunroof motor is addressed I can start restoring and putting the interior back together. I have to make new door cards since the current ones are rotted away at the forward corner.... Another brainstorming/shopping thing to figure out. I definitely want to keep it stock looking so those "racing" door cards are a no go for me. Anyone know what type of material that "cardboard" is made of?

I think the entire interior is going to be black. I'm afraid it'll be too dark, but after two toning the seat I think the contrast will be broken up by the doors, seats and side panels. We shall see :)

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Got a few things done...

After soaking in muriatic acid for a bit I got to finish some parts (gas tank parts, tool set). I alcohol prepped everything! I used POR15 fuel tank sealer on the inside portion of the fuel tank components, finished with a regular POR15 coating for external surfaces.

I poured the POR15 down into the filler neck and did my best to swirl it around to ensure it was coated completely.

The fuel pump assy before stripping with acid

Wood Line Road surface Twig Electrical wiring

Before paint, after acid bath

Wood Tool Gas Grass Hand tool

After paint

Road surface Wood Font Asphalt Revolver

Automotive tire Gas Suspension Machine Engineering

Automotive tire Bicycle part Wood Automotive lighting Gas

Once the fuel tank is completely reassembled I will give it another coat of POR15 (third coat by then).

I then borrowed a co-workers propane enrichment setup... the car REALLY wanted to run!!!!! I could not get it to go though :( I have a vid but I can't seem to drop it here... I hooked up directly to the intake manifold. I rechecked timing... seems good. Crank: 0 degrees, Cams: on compression stroke, Distributor: match marks on gear and housing aligned and when installed helical gears turn rotor to plug number 1.

I am going to check vacuum... good running vehicle should have 3-5 InHg when cranking. Also going to verify spark at ALL cylinders, not just #1. Also going to get compression readings and leak down of all the cylinders. Will report the findings obviously.

I started to sand down the spare tire well for fiberglass.... and of course it started raining. I will be completing that tomorrow.

Also was able to get both rear seat belts out... right side was so far rusted/rounded I had to bring out the turbo sockets... $350 well spent again!! :giggle:

·
Registered
7,727 Posts
You are good at bringing back rusty parts to neat components!
Keep the updates coming, we like that!
👍

·
Founding Member
6,687 Posts
Ended up buying a tool car from HF... If I never got a student discount on my snapon stuff I would have bought a HF box. I am actually surprised by the quality. It is obviously not as nice as a $16k box, but it will more than suffice in a non-commercial setting. That and at the end of the day its not the box...its the thousands of dollars in the box lol.
I've outgrown yet another tool chest and starting to think about the next bigger one or just adding another one. I always thought the main thing about the SnapOn stuff was security, since in a commercial setting you have to leave your tools there with other coworkers on another shift and you don't want them to "borrow" anything without permission. Living on the "wrong side of the tracks" (so that neighbors put up with my old car hobby) I have to worry about people breaking in. I have a Kobalt box now, 40 inches wide and taller than I am, about fifteen years old and I've had to replace the casters as the hard rubber tires disintegrated and a couple of drawer slides. But the locking system seems most flimsy. Nobody is taking the whole box loaded without a forklift but I worry it wouldn't take much to get the drawers pried open. Curious what you think of the locking mechanisms on the HF stuff.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
I've outgrown yet another tool chest and starting to think about the next bigger one or just adding another one. I always thought the main thing about the SnapOn stuff was security, since in a commercial setting you have to leave your tools there with other coworkers on another shift and you don't want them to "borrow" anything without permission. Living on the "wrong side of the tracks" (so that neighbors put up with my old car hobby) I have to worry about people breaking in. I have a Kobalt box now, 40 inches wide and taller than I am, about fifteen years old and I've had to replace the casters as the hard rubber tires disintegrated and a couple of drawer slides. But the locking system seems most flimsy. Nobody is taking the whole box loaded without a forklift but I worry it wouldn't take much to get the drawers pried open. Curious what you think of the locking mechanisms on the HF stuff.

Yea for the hobbyist/non-commercial people that work on cars snap-on boxes are just overkill (unless money is no object). My snap-on box is ~$15k... and the tools inside definitely tip that total past $30. Please do not misunderstand... I did not pay anywhere near that. When I was in school I took advantage of the student discount. The box pictured below is mine (sitting at school unfortunately) and I bought brand new, with the discount it came to $6k for the entire box. It was a no-brainer since I will most likely be able to get my money back if I ever did decide to sell it.

As far as security I think it is much better than HF, but I do not believe that is the reason people gravitate towards expensive boxes. I had a co-worker purposely abusive the shit out of his box. He would pull the drawers out and slam them as hard as he could (30k epic series). Splashed brake fluid on it... never cleaned it. Box still functioned like new after years of his abuse. The boxes (snap-on, Mac, Matco) are truly the platinum standard for tool boxes. I was that guy who EVERY 2 weeks, cleaned and spray waxed my box. I found having a clean and highly organized space was a large reason why I could pull in +80 hour weeks (working only 40 on a 5 day week).

I had insurance on my box and tools when I was at the dealership. God forbid someone came in to steal the boxes, or worse yet a fire broke out, I was at least covered. It was like 20 bucks a month for 30k in insurance. I also had a nest cam that hovered over my bay's that way if a lube tech used my bay and slammed into my box, I knew who's ATF I was taking. 💀

When it comes down to the security... nothing in the world is safe. If someone wants to steal something, they will find a way.

Rolling Gas Technology Asphalt Tints and shades

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
So today was a sort of productive day!

I got the spare tire well fiber glassed. I never worked with fiberglass before so I was surprised how well it turned out. I used gorilla tape on the bottom (outside) of the tire well so the fiberglass wouldn't sag and had something to "lean" on.

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Alloy wheel

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Font Automotive wheel system Gas

I know it's a bit messy. I am going to let it cure and then I will sand and paint the wheel well.

I also decided to get that ground that goes from the bell housing to the frame/fuel line bracket. Below is the old chewed one and the new one I made up. I got some gold plated connectors crimped on and the wire is installed.

Wood Plant Trunk Wall Wood stain

Since I had all the electrical stuff out I decided to make up a quick short connector. I know this will be a lot easier than the other setup I was running lol. I got the terminal connectors from Eastern Beaver. I bought a few extra connectors and terminals so I figured why not. Link to the site: The place for all your motorcycle electric needs.

Wood Branch Twig Art Flooring

Still need to get my headliner down and restore that. I also have to restore the door cards. I am following 82_in_FL and saw him do a stellar job on his doors with expanded PVC. I am going to get adventurous and give it a shot as soon as I figure out where I can get some local.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Wife and I were trying to get the car running on propane. I re-verified timing (4th time now) and when I "over clocked" the distributor it almost idled (sound up before starting video, you'll hear the best crank I've gotten yet!). I know I have followed the TSRM to the letter. A bit weird.

I did also verify that I only have 1-2 In Hg vacuum during cranking... should have between 2-5 I believe. When I did this I unplugged and capped off the crank case vent tube on both sides... should be a whole lot more vacuum there. I did check all vacuum lines but I guess a third time checking wont hurt.

I checked with spark tester that all cylinders are getting spark. Good.

I also checked compression at all cylinders (see chart). Cylinder three was checked three times... no compression or under 5. I did disconnect the gauge and just felt the pressure coming out, it was a little weak compared to cylinder 2 with the gauge off. Next step is a cylinder leak down, at least on that cylinder. Thankfully the cylinder next to it had better compression... if not we know what that means lol

Didn't have much time and with the wind it was freezing so I decided to take my beer and head in... work day anyways lol

Handwriting Rectangle Font Writing Parallel

Blue Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Hood Cable

·
Registered
7,727 Posts
Possibly have a stuck open valve on cyl 3. Removing valve covers and checking that they go up & down... Not sure how that would work, but they sell usb cameras for cell phones, with an accessory 45 deg mirror (90 deg view) and illumination... Could be slided in spark plug hole to see movement...
But I guess you already know all that!
You'll get it running soon!

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
I have a borescope.... I was just a little weirded out that there is a feeling of compression coming out when the gauge isn't connected.

After today... WAYYYY too much motivation to get it going now. It was sooo close! Just a matter of time. I really hope it doesn't need a motor. If it does I wont be going for the restoration I intended... it'll be at minimum a 7mgte. Rather have it old school JDM stock though.

·
Registered
7,727 Posts
Here is my rotor position, when crank is at 0 deg. My timing is set to 12 BTDC (almost maxed adjust) Rotor is pointting to one of the 3 cap mounting scew
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Rim Automotive design

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Gauge Gas

61 - 80 of 100 Posts