Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

281 - 286 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
I was wondering what you were planning with those bends.
Generally it's best to form all of that on the patch panel before you weld it on. I've probably covered how I did it in Canadian Psychos LType restoration thread. You should be able to do it still with vice grips and a couple careful cuts. Make a cardboard template of the part with the shape and cuts figured out then trace it on.
I cut the wheel well arch where I did (at the peak of that ridge) so that I would only need to do one bend, and for the ridge I can just have the patch welded on at that angle.
I think the folds around the lower part/rocker will be harder, I was waiting to do it so I could hold it up and cut and bend with everything else in place and get it decently close. Either way I'm gonna need to think about it before I do anything hasty.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #282
I cut a 1" slit across the foot area to clean up the inside of the front-rail-to-rocker box. I peeked in the frame rail area and it didn't look burnt in there so I sprayed a bunch of Amsoil metal protector inside the front rocker and front frame rail on both sides. I got the rear rocker welded on. The job looks ok. I need to figure out how to get in that box to hose everything down with paint and seam sealer in select areas, and then I need to piece together my QP and slap that on.

I've realized that for this project perfect is the enemy of progress and I just need to go for it. It's gonna be flawed and not 100% perfectly rust-proofed and that's OK for now. If I worry too much about it or spend forever on each tiny detail I'll never ever get it on the road.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #283
Made another piece. Kind of funny I bought a parts car for this panel and then between rust and mis-cutting it, I still have to weld three spots onto it. At least none of my patches will be very seen and I can back the seams in sealer.

Also if anyone is following this, I do not recommend cutting the rocker box where I did. The QP attaches right there so you'll have to do way more grinding flat than you want. In addition, even the leftover part of my QP was dented in some (it's supposed to step down at that spot, but instead it sits flush.) I pulled it out somewhat to align it all, but I couldn't get it perfect. I also have to go back and do a bunch more grinding here. I'm not worrying too much on the plug welds at the top, it's pretty well attached and I'm smothering that in sealer.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
I'm pleasantly surprised how this patched together QP is coming together. Just gotta fold over some stuff on the edges maybe, then cut it to the right size, and add in a third patch where I stupidly cut it too low, in the door jam.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #286
Wrenching on the Mazda dd this weekend which most of you all don't care about. Between a couple old bolts breaking and me cross threading a couple things it's gonna be stuck in the air for a while.
But you might be interested in some of the cars my gracious neighbor with the lift has.

This Morris Minor Woody has the SMALLEST 4 banger.

Some 20's buicks

56? Jag

No picture but there is also a Studebaker Avanti I haven't seen at eye level. At the time the fastest production car in the world.

281 - 286 of 286 Posts