Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

281 - 282 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
I was wondering what you were planning with those bends.
Generally it's best to form all of that on the patch panel before you weld it on. I've probably covered how I did it in Canadian Psychos LType restoration thread. You should be able to do it still with vice grips and a couple careful cuts. Make a cardboard template of the part with the shape and cuts figured out then trace it on.
I cut the wheel well arch where I did (at the peak of that ridge) so that I would only need to do one bend, and for the ridge I can just have the patch welded on at that angle.
I think the folds around the lower part/rocker will be harder, I was waiting to do it so I could hold it up and cut and bend with everything else in place and get it decently close. Either way I'm gonna need to think about it before I do anything hasty.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #282
I cut a 1" slit across the foot area to clean up the inside of the front-rail-to-rocker box. I peeked in the frame rail area and it didn't look burnt in there so I sprayed a bunch of Amsoil metal protector inside the front rocker and front frame rail on both sides. I got the rear rocker welded on. The job looks ok. I need to figure out how to get in that box to hose everything down with paint and seam sealer in select areas, and then I need to piece together my QP and slap that on.

I've realized that for this project perfect is the enemy of progress and I just need to go for it. It's gonna be flawed and not 100% perfectly rust-proofed and that's OK for now. If I worry too much about it or spend forever on each tiny detail I'll never ever get it on the road.

281 - 282 of 282 Posts