Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an 84' with a munted engine and a need for a respray.

From people who have done restorations before, what path should I take first?

The problem I have with going engine first is that I have to put it in. take it out, get the car sprayed then put it in again.

but what do you guys think?

·
Registered
379 Posts
what i did with my xr4ti was to do all the modding and engine rebuild and stuff like that, then had it painted. we left the engine in the car and just wrapped all the harness up on top of the engine and bagged it, then sprayed the engine bay with satin black.

only thing is, if you paint it forst, then you have to be very serious about the whole resto. can't stop in the middle or you just wasted all the money on paint.

if you do the engine first, then you can at least drive it around and have fun until you can afford a paint job.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
+1

also if you find a major problem or better chassis, you cant swap paint....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
cool thanks heaps. Just got a quote on my reconditioned 7m. 3grand whoo. so I will be getting that in *calculates 8 dollars an hour by 50 hour week* probably 10 weeks after I pay out for petrol and rent. so there's a bit of time to look up 5m-7m conversion stuff.

Xr4man that engine bay look kickass. I may have to steal your idea on that one.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
do motor that way you can spray the motor compartment with the motor out then paintjob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts