Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend we have started to work on th body, after looking for all the rusty spots we have decided to begin with the right sidewall.

The paint and filler are extremely thick, so we started to grind all down awaiting to see some big dents or anything else, but no, the original painting is that thick...

Its not as bad as I thought, only some small dents around the air vent, and some rust around the tank filler.

Thats how she looks now, waiting for the next wekend and a welder:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Looking good. Cutting our rust and replacing it with metal is the only way to go. Nice work. Looks like an easy fix, it's nice to catch it that quickly.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are doing it the right way by cutting out the rust. Nice job.

Time to shave off that antenna hole too.
It´s the only way I would do it with any car except I only would want to drive it for a year or so.

The antenna hole has been removed before, but only with fiber what I don´t like, it will be welded also.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have got a welder, so we could do a little bit more today:

Rear right fender:

Rocker panel:

Surprise! One of the preowners has done some crap work on the body, so we removed it all and will make it right tomorrow:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some more progress:

The usual rust holes:

Removing the weld spots:

Cutting a little bit:

Should be fixed next weekend:

This summer I stick with the original ride heigth, so I repainted the parts a little bit:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It´s time for an update I guess...

After I have made the last update I had a lot problems with the guy who made all the welding for me and the Project was stopped for a few months. Two weeks ago I started again together with someone else.

We had to remove some of the parts the first guy had inserted because it was done bad.

Now the car is almost ready for the paintjob:

Remodelling the surrounding of the fuel filler door:

Closing a small hole around the door:

New rocker panels:

New rear pockets:

Remodeled some rotted parts of the trunklid area:

The finished arches and trunk area:

The lower edge of the door was almost completely rotten. A little bit sheet metal and a lot time and its like new:

The right fender must have been replaced once. It has been painted without rust conservation and the whole surface started to rust slightly under the paint, so we had to remove it and make it right:

Since all the holes have been closed we can now start to prepare it for the new paint:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What I forgot to write, in the meantime I have got loads of parts:

New spark cables
New engine oil and filter
New air filter
Completely restored diff
New Bonnet lifts
Electric mirrors (EU spec have manual)
Cruise control
Original radio from 85
New oldschool aftermarket foglights
Loads of new suspension bushings
New emergency brake shoes
New brake lines and other brake parts
New paint, BMW Alpina white

I guess thats all... more updates will follow

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Great progress...it's coming along nicely!!!!!
I remember those steps well. Someone should bend those pieces up, along with the lower portions behind the rear wheels, and sell them.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Want to sell your manual mirrors? I've been looking for a set.
Great job on the restoration so far. Keep up the great work!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks!

Yes, I could sell my mirrors, but I am in Europe, the shipping is more expensive than the mirrors. I guess it is cheaper to get Celica mirrors, which are the same!

·
Super Moderator
10,617 Posts
Theres some nice metal work there. Just don't forget to seal things up properly or you will be doing this again in the future. Have a read through this thread, there will be another like it up soon...

http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?54173-Let-s-do-this...-slowly-(Canadian-85P-restore)

The real work in that thread starts on page 2 btw.

Also you should really pull the inside piece of the gas tank chamber out to properly fix the rust that is on it as well. The other piece of it on the inside has even more rust problems then the outer piece too.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The inside of the gas tank chamber is in very good condition, the car has been conserved by the importer when it was new and this was one of the few problematic parts that have survived.

You have made a great thread! It was my plan to restore it like you do! In fact what we did now was a "quick and dirty" repair, because in may next year I will go to China for several years and I want to drive it for the last few months after owning one now for 12 years and never been able to drive it on the roads!

Everything is sealed very good and we use the Mike Sanders products to conserve it from the inside. After I come back in three to five years I start to restore it the way I always wanted!

·
Super Moderator
10,617 Posts
Very cool!

I would recomend doing the metal work, rust repair and under chassis work properly the first time though, and coming back later and taking your time with the paint, exterior bodywork, trim, interior etc. Once you drill out the spot welds and weld in new panels, its alot more work to fix it again in the future. Best to do it right the first time. Not that I'm saying you're not doing it right, I can't tell exactly how you're sealing things up from the pics.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Most of the welding inside has been done by the first guy, I am not quite happy with it, but it should work fine for the next few months, then I am going abroad for some years and will decide what to do when I am back. At the moment my favourite solution is to get a rust free shell from overseas and build it up from zero!

We have done a lot in the last two weeks, so I did not have time to make an update, it´s almost finished now, these are some pictures from the preparation for the paint:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Next update:

Last friday we painted the car in BMW alpinwhite 2.

On saturday and sunday I reassembled most of the car. Tomorrow and friday morning I hope I can finish it and cad register it in the afternoon! :)

USDM mirrors look sooooo sexy!

The interior is almost finished!

The wheel is just borrowed for this winter, but I think I will like it, its so much smaller than the original one!

BTW: In september 2000 I have started to disassemble my first Celica Supra, if I would have known that time that it would take me 10 years to be able to drive one I would have done a lot things different! It´s such an awesome feeling!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts