Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm restoring '85 fog/driving lamp assemblies and wondering how the metal in the metal housing (the part that aims the beam and that the glass lens fits into) should be treated. Mine appear to have portions showing a black coating (paint? possbily just from later body work) but the basic metal is the standard automotive olive-drab that may just be from a chemical anti-corrosion treatment (like chromate?). What did this metal look like originally? Did they come painted black or just the OD? I'm cleaning off much of the black coating (dremel tool wire wheel and abrasive buffer) which undoubtedly can remove any metal treatment that might have been there originally and the basic metal looks like it could be a bronze alloy? Is it OK to leave this metal bare or must you treat it so it won't rust? For a permanent restoration (so they can still be aimed 20 years from now), what treatment (short of a chemical dip) would be easiest but adequate?

Note: After removing the glass/metal lens, you can separate the two pieces that make up the mounting/aiming housing assembly by removing the small spring that holds them together. You can also then pop out the attached plastic grommets and work with just metal. I've also painted the metal backing of the glass lens using high-heat aluminum-colored enamel - the entire assembly gets very hot and one lens was pretty corroded.

Thanks in advance.
JimC

·
Registered
177 Posts
the ones i had on my black supra where all rusted im not sure anything was put on my assembly no traces of any coating

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right. It appears from mine that the metal was corrosion treated then painted black. Here's what I'm doing. I soaked the metal housing pieces in Acetone - mostly to degrease them for painting - and the inner side of the housing half that sits right behind the glass lens was pretty much completely painted since it bubbled away. I have one assembly cleaned up (to bare metal, using dremel wire wheels and abrasive buffing wheels - my most-used refurb tool) and I'll prime it with engine enamel primer (that'll take several passes to get all the nooks and crannies) then top it with high-temp black enamel (likely the 1200 deg stuff - w/o baking it in the kitchen oven, which would be marital suicide). (Admittedly, no one's likely to notice this refurb effort - unless a bona-fide fanatic inherits it someday.)

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
That's good work. And it sounds like you are doing it because it's the right thing to do, not because someone can see it... Kudos!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I did the HID conversion on mine and went through all of this. Mine look brand new and damn near factory. Keep at it, its all the little things that make the final outcome great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts