Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Do you think the people reading your resume know the "UXO" stands for unexploded ordinance or maybe you should put that in there somewhere. Explains it to the simple minds that job required attn to detail and also you need a big hairy set to do that:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
If i had it my way I would load Wicked Felina on the trailer and come up this summer for some of that low altitude dense air so I could put the smack down on some JZ cars with the all mighty 7m:naughty:

That being said, Im tied down with the family..If i get at least 5 days to myself im on my way...I thought you were in Iowa or something..you back up there with all the other PACNW Vampires?

·
Super Moderator
8,572 Posts
Never seen a resume with pictures before. I don't see anything about what you are looking for thats usually up top. Instead of course work I'd list skills you have in bullet form. I don't think you need locations next to the job, but I'd move the dates up there next to the company. Usually at the bottom I list a line or two for interests. Some people like it some don't. I think its a conversation starter in an interview if the interviewer has the same interest.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
ive never seen a resume with pictures also, but if it were me, depending on what you are applying and with whom, i would ditch it for the employer may not take your seriously, but than again, it does set you resume apart, amd it did ask to "customize" so idk. If you have the new how and ability, adobe indesign has a nice layout for resume designing and you have the full extent of laying down frames and designing it all out.
also, i would put some sort of contact information, so employers have a way of gettin a hold of you.

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I never did have pictures in it but they said to customize it... so that was about all I could come up with. I actually removed the contact info for the post... didn't figure CS needed to know my home address (seeing as I just got robbed... but more worried about random people, not CS members).

Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming.

·
Registered
13,185 Posts
If you're applying for a computer job (don't), it's got too much non-computer crap in it.

If you're applying for a UXO job, it's got too much computer crap in it.

In my opinion, you should build a resume specifically for the job. There is no such thing as a single resume. Read the job description and visualize what they might be looking for in skillsets, then find some things that pertain in each and every position you've held. For example, say you're looking for a PC repair position (don't) dump all the crap about running forklifts and focus on the size team you worked with, how you prioritized projects that you led, if you utilized a task-based tracking system that may relate to a work-order type computer repair gig? ...that sort of thing...

--billyM

·
Registered
243 Posts
Here's what they usually mean by "personalizing" a resume:

- Don't just stick to the format given by Word templates
- Be somewhat conversational (yet professional) at times in regards to your experiences.
- Tailor your resume to the position being applied for.

Something I would worry about is the "wall of text" issue you've got going there. I didn't read much of it at all, because it was all blocked together.

Here's an example of what I've got right now... keeping in mind that I'm an underemployed new graduate. Also, the image compression makes it look like ass, but you get the point. (lol @ blacking out info)

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
IMO too much description of past job duties. Keep it simple and straightforward. It has to catch the readers eye or it'll end up in the circular file.

I usually use two lines for former jobs in my resume - job title and brief description. If the employer is interested in knowing what you did, this will come out orally in the interview.

Tara's format looks good, you can take that to the bank.

I'm not certain about pics either, they are catchy but a little cartoonlike - kudos for being different...some employers dig that, others not.

I agree with BillyM, a resume ought to be custom-made for the job. Try saving a few different styles.

Good luck with the job search!

·
Registered
13,185 Posts
One thing I noticed but did not mention is the "wall of text" that Tara touched on. Also, layout leaves something to be desired (see Tara's for a good damn layout).

Lose the "I am blah blah blah blah. I am also blah blah blah" and just bullet-point the "blah blah blah", as a resume the "I am" and "I have" are redundant, it's your resume, they know you did it (or atleast hope you did).

...I can go into more specifics if you're looking to land a computer gig, but I need to see that job description.

--billyM

·
Registered
243 Posts
There are a goodly number of decent templates out there that can be downloaded to Word - I did mine from scratch because I'm picky. Mine's got a lot of writing in it because I'm, well, a writer. Also, hidden from view is the fact that I have a website that employers can go to to view what is essentially my online portfolio. (Any Billy M, thanks for the compliment on my layout! I'm happy with it.)

Forbiddenera's is also worth looking at - good layout, not too wordy. (I would still use some padding between the bullet points, but I just generally hate it when text gets too close to itself - and that's getting damn picky.)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Forbiddenera's is also worth looking at - good layout, not too wordy. (I would still use some padding between the bullet points, but I just generally hate it when text gets too close to itself - and that's getting damn picky.)
Thanks, and you're right about the padding. I do web design and development for a living so laying out content and text is all I do.

·
Registered
243 Posts
My degree is in communications (journalism,) which involves a great deal of layout as well, just not for web. We're on the same page. :p

P.S. For those looking at my resume.... I NEED A JOB, PLEASE! (ha ha)
I love being a new graduate in an economic downturn. Yeesh.

·
Premium Member
8,213 Posts
You need to state your objective...

For example one of the individuals I'm working with to get a job in the fire service stated:

"OBJECTIVE: To achieve a full time, permanent, fire fighting position."

Obviously you need to adjust your objective to the job testing/interviewing for...

From my narrow perspective, your resume needs to be concise...

·
Premium Member
5,600 Posts
One other thing, there is no such thing as an associates degree - it is associate degree, as in Associate of Applied Science, or Associate of Arts, etc.
Nowadays, many get it wrong and few seem to care. But I do know of at least one employer who would look at little things like that and move the resume down to the bottom of the stack to help separate the wheat from the chaff.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Agree with a lot here - IMO:
* Tailor the resume to the job - have several already made for different jobs
* Ditch the graphics - consolidate "Course Work" and "Software Experience"
* Move the date / year to the left column
* Use bullets, and action verbs (which you are already doing)
* State objective - move Education to the bottom
* Reduce to one page - unless you have 20+ years of experience to document
* Eliminate all graphics - for bullets use an "asterisk" - no non-ASCII characters
* Create ".RTF" format resume - for submitting on-line or in an e-mail - many companies don't want attachments
* Add a "keyword" section - used by employers to automatically scan for certain skills, experience, etc.
* Spel check - spell chek - spell cheque

GL

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
One other thing, there is no such thing as an associates degree - it is associate degree, as in Associate of Applied Science, or Associate of Arts, etc.
Nowadays, many get it wrong and few seem to care. But I do know of at least one employer who would look at little things like that and move the resume down to the bottom of the stack to help separate the wheat from the chaff.
Thank you all very much for your input. Although at first the criticism kinda cuts the quick, I have to accept that I asked for the critique and this is what it takes to make it better. The suggestions were a wake up call for me and my lame excuse for a resume. Everyone made excellent suggestions and I am updating my resume yet again, for another job, and custom tailoring it to that job.

Agree with a lot here - IMO:
* Tailor the resume to the job - have several already made for different jobs
* Ditch the graphics - consolidate "Course Work" and "Software Experience"
* Move the date / year to the left column
* Use bullets, and action verbs (which you are already doing)
* State objective - move Education to the bottom
* Reduce to one page - unless you have 20+ years of experience to document
* Eliminate all graphics - for bullets use an "asterisk" - no non-ASCII characters
* Create ".RTF" format resume - for submitting on-line or in an e-mail - many companies don't want attachments
* Add a "keyword" section - used by employers to automatically scan for certain skills, experience, etc.
* Spel check - spell chek - spell cheque

GL
All wonderful suggestions. I'll update this thread yet again, with the new job listing, and hopefully include my resume in the next day, if not tonight. I just hate this kind of paperwork because it makes me think... (not like that.. I love math/science) but how to structure what I know and my skills and qualifications in a written context.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Company I'm applying for:

...uses both "off the shelf" and proprietary "state of the art" technology to provide the most sophisticated and highest resolution gravity data available from a moving platform. ... has the knowledge and experience to provide the best quality data, the most sophisticated data processing, and the most reliable interpretations available.

Current Opportunities
Field Systems Operator

Looking for dynamic individuals who possess a diverse knowledge in the following areas:
  • Basic electronics (must be able to use a digital multi-meter to check voltage and use an o-scope.)
  • Microsoft office suite

The following would also be beneficial:
  • Job requires that you be eligible to rent a car and be able to obtain a passport.
  • Bilingual Spanish or Portuguese is a plus.
  • Must be willing to travel 6 months out of the year.
  • Can’t be claustrophobic or have a fear of flying.
  • Candidates must pass a drug screen and background check.

[Due to the nature of employer's business, company policy requires that candidates having criminal background or convictions will not be considered for employment.]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts