Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
MemberSince2000
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Return of the 5MGE-T+ (7mgte Rebuild)

Hello everyone! It's been a longtime since I've posted on here. Been a crazy trip. Long story short - graduated from the U, bought a new house, landed several IT occupations, started a pilot's/real estate license, adventured the world, took on business/investment adventures, and lost sight & neglected the Supra =1

Backstory

The last time I drove the Supra was in 2012. I installed a new Walbro fuel pump and was cruising around I-405 when suddenly the engine stalled. With my busy work schedule, I couldn't afford to not have a running daily driver. So I had the vehicle towed to my dad's house and I ended up borrowing one of his trucks. Until yesterday - as you'll read below - it sat for several years.

Ride Line-up

In the mean time, I've taken over and sold other rides - including a 2009 Subaru WRX, a 2005 Infiniti G35 (my present daily) and a number of Hondas/Acuras.

Back in January a Craigslist ad for a complete 7mgte w/ "less than 90k miles" caught my attention. I had been debating the 7MGTE or 1JZGTE route for a [long] while now and had even put together a Need-to-Buy-List for both swaps. However, after checking out the engine and getting a good deal for it for $600 w/ miscellaneous components (minus my 7MGTE Needs List below) my choice was made. I quickly ran over to Harbor Freight; bought an engine hoist and stand; and with the help of one of my buddies, had the engine picked up and hoisted onto an engine stand w/in my garage. . .where it sat for several months -_-

I blame a trip to the Philippines, bachelor parties, working 2 office jobs / pursuing the pilot's and real estate licenses, family events (for those that know me, know I have a lot of family) and lastly, acclimating to the loss of my grandparents, who I had lived with and had raised me for over 23 years.

Present Time

Car Tow

So finally, to save from further excuses, yesterday I found time to AAA the Supra from my parent's house...

and into my garage.

Even without Costo shelves to be installed, it's getting kind of cramped in here.

(Definitely utilizing my LA Fitness membership for a while)

Yet, it's manageable.

Engine Tear Down

With the Supra in the garage, I caught a 2nd wind and started tearing down the engine to view the damages.

Didn't find any major issues. Even the camshaft guides looked good w/ no scratches. Only concern I have so far are the plastic and rubber components - which will be replaced or renewed - and the pistons. Based on the super dark and burnt piston heads, I'm sure the piston rings are fried. So those, along with any other rings or gaskets, will certainly be replaced.

Parts Needed

So this is where I may need some help. After assessing what I currently have (including what's currently on the vehicle and in my box of miscellaneous stuff) and with the intention of having a reliable/upgradable 7MGTE, I'll need the following parts -

Engine Mechanical

• Headgasket set (w/ 1.2 HKS MHG)
  • ARP head stud kit
  • 89-92 oil pump & pan
  • Power steering & alternator belts (eliminating the AC)
Air Intake

• Intercooler + piping
  • Lexus AFM
Cooling

• Lower and upper radiator house
  • Thermostat
  • Water pump
Ignition

• Spark plugs + wires
Exhaust

• Turbo downpipe
  • 3" straight pipe
Electrical/speedo

• 5MGE to 7MGTE wiring harness
  • MSD tach adapter.P/N 8920
Are these Required/Should I get these?

• 550cc fuel injectors
  • Turbo manifold
  • Oil filter relocation kit
  • Charcoal/carbon canister
I've sourced for a majority of these items via Rockauto.com, eBay and other online websites. However, I'm sure others in this Awesome and Supporting community - specifically those in the Northwest =D - have other sources they'd like to recommend. So please say hello and chime in with any help.

Thanks Everyone,
- Edward

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Uh, wow, that first paragraph.....you did all that in one lifetime?

·
I <3 my supra
427 Posts
"

550cc fuel injectors
Turbo manifold
Oil filter relocation kit
Charcoal/carbon canister"

You don't need any of that stuff. If your injectors are not the 550's aready you can upgrade them if you wish to. Everything else is fine the way it is

All roads lead back to the old hotrod! :) Nice car

·
MemberSince2000
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:

Nearly all the goodies on my Needs List have arrived. Now, just need a place to help with the wiring, engine block/head machining, and base tuning. Hoping to get these done elsewhere while I remove the old engine and prepare the engine bay.

Any PacNW recommendations?

·
MemberSince2000
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
On a good note, got the ol' 5M running last night. Was tempted to use the existing harness for the 7mgte swap. Then, while I was following each electrical bundle, I found one near the transmission with a few spliced wires.
-_- lol

So yea, while I get the final 7M components together, you may just see me around. Feel free to say what's up. Otherwise, I'll post haha

·
Registered
87 Posts
Update:

Nearly all the goodies on my Needs List have arrived. Now, just need a place to help with the wiring, engine block/head machining, and base tuning. Hoping to get these done elsewhere while I remove the old engine and prepare the engine bay.

Where at in Washington are you? I used to live in spokane, but moved to olympia a little over a year ago. As far as machining goes, when i built my 7M i took it to my uncles machine shop in moses lake. He builds jet boat engines and has an immaculate shop. Bored .20 over, decked the block mirror finish, milled head mirror finish, checked all the mains, re did the head added chevy valve springs. Checked the mains, crank, con rods. Balanced rotating assembly. He did everything!!! It took him six months to do it but that is because he needed all the parts to machine the block accurately and i didnt have them all.

Are you planning on going standalone? If so, driftoffice is a good place to go for AEM, they will do others but are sticklers. Fast specialties down in vancouver washington can tune anything. Thats where im going to get my megasquirt dialed in.

·
MemberSince2000
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Late reply. But thanks for the advice. I have everything below except for the 550cc fuel injectors. I may consider that route especially since I already have an upgraded turbo walbro fuel pump and an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator.

"

550cc fuel injectors
Turbo manifold
Oil filter relocation kit
Charcoal/carbon canister"

You don't need any of that stuff. If your injectors are not the 550's aready you can upgrade them if you wish to. Everything else is fine the way it is

All roads lead back to the old hotrod!
Nice car

·
MemberSince2000
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live in North Seattle, but am constantly in South Seattle for work.

How much did it cost you to get all that machine work? Sounds like it wouldn't have been cheap. Then again, I'm sure you got the family discount haha

As of now, I'm leaning towards standalone. Yet, am in the air with which one to go with. Throughout the forum, I have been reading a lot about others having success with ECUMASTERIII

http://www.suprastore.com/ecumadiecutu.html

Thoughts?

Update:

Where at in Washington are you? I used to live in spokane, but moved to olympia a little over a year ago. As far as machining goes, when i built my 7M i took it to my uncles machine shop in moses lake. He builds jet boat engines and has an immaculate shop. Bored .20 over, decked the block mirror finish, milled head mirror finish, checked all the mains, re did the head added chevy valve springs. Checked the mains, crank, con rods. Balanced rotating assembly. He did everything!!! It took him six months to do it but that is because he needed all the parts to machine the block accurately and i didnt have them all.

Are you planning on going standalone? If so, driftoffice is a good place to go for AEM, they will do others but are sticklers. Fast specialties down in vancouver washington can tune anything. Thats where im going to get my megasquirt dialed in.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
I got the full standalone ecumaster to install, just waiting for the stars to align to take the car off the road for awhile. Had a road trip a few weeks ago, a few Supras coming to town from ~150 miles away in a couple weeks, then i'm moving next month, but i digress, i'll get to it eventually...

I've met the guy that imports them and seen his car and install in person and was impressed enough that i bought one myself. Unsure why suprastore has them more expensive, but they're $420/450 from here for the 2.5 or 4 bar versions.
http://ecumasterusa.com/shop/

Honestly a really great feature set for the price. If you can find someone else who has done that piggyback on 7m i say go for it, always easy to follow in footsteps. If not shoot him an email, he is very knowledgeable in this stuff, his mkIII has like a bujillion horsepower. In my amateur opinion i'd vote to get it running as stock before tossing the piggyback in line, just to make sure you've got everything right before you start modifying it.

·
Registered
87 Posts

How much did it cost you to get all that machine work? Sounds like it wouldn't have been cheap. Then again, I'm sure you got the family discount haha

As of now, I'm leaning towards standalone. Yet, am in the air with which one to go with. Throughout the forum, I have been reading a lot about others having success with ECUMASTERIII

Thoughts?
Oh man, how can you live with that commute?!?

Machine work was expensive even for family, but I knew it was getting done right. He split up the cost for every time i brought new parts in. Drop off wiseco pistons, give money for that machining, drop off clutch flywheel give money for machining, etc etc. If i had to guess, just shy of 3 grand? But that was three years ago, motor still going great with 15-18 psi of boost.

I haven't heard too much about ecumaster, but from the short amount of research i just did, it seems legit. Like I said, im running ms3 so I get stuck searching that all the time, and depending on who you talk to, megasquirt can either be super easy or a right pain in the ass.

·
MemberSince2000
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good looks on the the cheaper source and information. Appears Suprastore is not even a recommended vendor on their site. So might explain the (for profit) price difference. Although on ecumaster's website the additional components need to be bought separately. Not a biggie though.

I agree that I should initially aim to have the engine running efficiently before doing any major tune mods. However, I also am very much leaning towards the ecumaster. Especially since I've been told by my Nissan friends that it is similar to the interface and tuning of nistune.

Nice threads by the way. Went through a couple of them and have learned a lot. (They're bookmarked and I'm subscribed! haha) Certainly appreciate reading from those who are willing to try out-of-the-norm mods.

I got the full standalone ecumaster to install, just waiting for the stars to align to take the car off the road for awhile. Had a road trip a few weeks ago, a few Supras coming to town from ~150 miles away in a couple weeks, then i'm moving next month, but i digress, i'll get to it eventually...

I've met the guy that imports them and seen his car and install in person and was impressed enough that i bought one myself. Unsure why suprastore has them more expensive, but they're $420/450 from here for the 2.5 or 4 bar versions.
http://ecumasterusa.com/shop/

Honestly a really great feature set for the price. If you can find someone else who has done that piggyback on 7m i say go for it, always easy to follow in footsteps. If not shoot him an email, he is very knowledgeable in this stuff, his mkIII has like a bujillion horsepower. In my amateur opinion i'd vote to get it running as stock before tossing the piggyback in line, just to make sure you've got everything right before you start modifying it.

·
MemberSince2000
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Dang. . .so much for a discount haha At least you know you paid well for your money's worth. I expect to at least spend a grand, but I hope nothing more.

Yea, the commute can be interesting at times. However, I take a combination of routes to make it interesting - either the train, bus and/or link. Saves from the traffic and if needed, allows me to get some shut eye.

Definitely going to be doing a lot more research on what standalone capabilities that I want first before buying.

Thoughts?
Oh man, how can you live with that commute?!?

Machine work was expensive even for family, but I knew it was getting done right. He split up the cost for every time i brought new parts in. Drop off wiseco pistons, give money for that machinin
g, drop off clutch flywheel give money for machining, etc etc. If i had to guess, just shy of 3 grand? But that was three years ago, motor still going great with 15-18 psi of boost.

I haven't heard too much about ecumaster, but from the short amount of research i just did, it seems legit. Like I said, im running ms3 so I get stuck searching that all the time, and depending on who you talk to, megasquirt can either be super easy or a right pain in the ass.

·
MemberSince2000
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since I've been such a Fail-job on this forum - years w/out posting - I'll start out with this... 5MGE-T+ (lots of miscellaneous aftermarket, upgraded parts)

E.g. Rx-7 oil cooler (shown above), 10AN oil lines & relocation sandwich plate, and upgraded 255lph Walbro fuel pump & 8AN fittings

And yes, I did also manage to complete the 7MGTE w/ forged pistons & rods and made the swap to the front-sump Cressida oil pan and oil pump.

Keeping the engine as a spare. Unless I get some offers... :naughty:

·
MemberSince2000
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Honestly, its been too long (10+ years now) since I've had it. So I don't quite remember who I got it from. Yet, it was from a member on this forum.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts