Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever thought about putting rhino liner inside the wheel wells?
A friend of mine that owns a rhino liner shop suggested it to me. he had seen the rust on my 84 in the wheel wells and asked if i had the same problem on my 86 that i am redoing. i told him not yet and that there was also some sort of liner in there already. mine is coming off so i figured what the hell might as well have him do it. it can even be done the same color as my car!!!!! for those of you who ar not very familiar with this stuff it is tuff as nails. and after they spray it on it snot going to rust under there, that is if you get all the rust off before you spray it on. and god for bid a rock hit this stuff it will just bounce right off. as a matter of fact just about everything will bounce off. I have seen him demo this stuff in a truck bed srayed on 1/4 inch thick and have him run a tiller in the bed and not even put a dent in it.

so what do yall think? all opinons welcome

jeremy

·
Registered
791 Posts
Rhino linings is awesome stuff! I like it better than the other brands because it is based on a rubberized material rather than plastic.
I've tried to repair some of the rust in my fenderwells with Bondo and spraying it all down with rubber undercoating with so-so results. You really need to get the previous stuff out first or you'll have problems with stuff sticking up there! I swear to god Toyota used silverstone for rust proofing!!!
If you can get it, definitely do it, you'll be glad you did!
Chris

·
Super Moderator
8,390 Posts
That stuff would make a good undercoating. You just better like it because its not coming off once its done.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what is silverstone? yeah i am working on getting all that out and we are going to line it before i have the car repainted just because i do not want nothing on my new paint job.

jeremy

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
I would advise against using such a product for undercoating.

If moisture gets in between the coating and metal, which it will, it not leave and the metal will eventually rust.

You should always use an undercoating that stays wet, such as an oil spray. If it stays wet it will constantly flow and repair itself. Repair any rust by removing it completely and then welding new metal. Then primer, paint and finally oil spray once a year.

I don't know why you guys in the southern states have problems with rust, up here we have to deal with all the salt they dump on the road.

·
Founding Member
6,423 Posts
Here in Texas, we rarely if ever see the wheelwells and fenders rusted out. The rust we get is typically on the sunroofs and hatches and cowl vents and behind trim such as rub strips and rocker mouldings. These are just facts of life for any car regularly parked outdoors anywhere. Any crevice than can pool water remember will also pool any dust and leaves and debris that gets into it and hence will retain moisture.

I can't imagine thrown rocks from the tires damaging the rhino-lining. As stated, that stuff is amazing. Haling from Truck country, I've seen badly abused work trucks lined with that stuff and if you can dump a half-yard bucket of drainage rock into a bed lined with that stuff day-in and day-out for years and never penetrate through then its gotta be pretty tough. Since it comes in many colors, off-roaders have taken to covering their whole jeeps in that stuff. Some genious has even advertized "Never have to paint your house ever again!" and I'm thinking "Hell yea, I hate to paint and the shit looks just like stucco."

I also can't imagine that black tar undercoating ever flowing out to heal its own scratches. That shit is a nightmare too cause it gets all over when you work under your car. I hate it.

Phil D.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
I was talking about an oil spray, not tar.

Yes, the stuff (oil spray) does get messy and dirty over time. Then whenever you work on the bottom of the car you get covered in it. But it works as long as you do it every year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts