Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
right now i have a 82 supra setting in my garage striped down, waiting for my 92 supra 1jz front clip. i have a few questions. i want to convert my left hand drive to right hand drive, does any body know how hard this would be, are there any parts that i can use off the jdm mkIII that would work? or do i have to find someone that has a right hand drive colume and rack? im going to make a custom dash so thats not a dig deal. any help would be great
-alan

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Dash from a RHD MKIII is too wide. Wiring would be a nightmare.

Other option is to talk to other MKII owners & have them send you the parts. Anyone who is in AUS, NZ, or the UK might be able to help. Shipping may not be cheap.

You'll also need to change out all of the HVAC/ventilation/ducting stuff.

Others???

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
seats, depending if you want the adjustability

console
ebrake handle?

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
dogstar,

Have seen the interiors of several RHD MKII's in the past. They use the same console configuration & e-brake handle as the LHD ones. So this would not be a problem.. Although the Cig lighter & A/C switch is switched around on a RHD car, but you can probably get away w/ keeping the LHD version.

Definetely needs a RHD seat if he wants to retain the side bolster & lumbar adjustments. Shipping a seat from another continent is going to be ridiculously $$$$$$ (this has been discussed before).

Probably should mention that he may need a RHD steering rack??? Another high $$$$$$ shipping item????

Again, many questions, since nobody has done a RHD conversion nor a RHD -> LHD conversion yet (unless someone has done one, like 15 - 20 years ago) in North America.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but WHY ON EARTH would you want to do this? It seems like a whole world of pain just to make your car harder to drive!

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Norbie said:
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but WHY ON EARTH would you want to do this? It seems like a whole world of pain just to make your car harder to drive!

ditto :?:

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I don't know where you live, but if you live in a LHD country, I wouldn't recommend it. It is unsafe. My buddy has a RHD fairlady, and I've driven it a few times. Not only does it feel totally awkward (which I'm sure one would get used to over time), but driving an a two lane highway is total crap. You have no way of seeing oncoming traffic. To get far enough over to see, you have to practically swing the car all the way into the oncoming lane, which is just asking for a head on. The "coolness" factor of having a RHD car is not worth the potential risk IMO.

Christian

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
ditto on that one too. But fyi, you can swap the DS and PS seats left to right, you just need to bend one of the tabs on the brackets by a couple mm. However, they sit differently in the car. Both seats will be too far to the outside of the car if you do this, not horribly though. Plus all the controls will be on the opposite side as what your used to, but apparently that doesn bother your :wink:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im redoing my hole interior. making a quick drag/street car that is uniqe. i know just doing the 1jz will seperate me from a lot of other mkII. i just always wanted a rhd car. the only bad thing that was pointed out was passing on a 2 lang highway. im changing out the seats(arter market), so thats not a problem. redoing my dash, so i can make my own air ducting, no problem there. i relly dont use me ebrake uless im stoped, that wont matter. does anybody know if the stearing rack on the mkIII would work with little mods? thanks for all the replys
-alan

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
im almost 100% sure the mkIII steering rack wont work.
IIRC its wider, and mounts much differentely, but someone else (shawn? chris?) can probably tell you for sure.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Realistically, I think the best thing to do is just import a RHD supra/celica xx. Probably cheaper in the long run and won't be a "ghetto" conversion.
Although converting it would be possible, I remember reading about a guy who imported a skyline and converted it to LHD and was planning on selling kits. There is at least one RHD celica xx in the US, it was on ebay about a year ago. Seller was in florida IIRC. Either way good luck.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
dogstar said:
im almost 100% sure the mkIII steering rack wont work.
IIRC its wider, and mounts much differentely, but someone else (shawn? chris?) can probably tell you for sure.

mkIII won't work.For starters,it sits in front of K-member,so all angles are different,mount's very different.Looking at the 89 in the shop,looks to be a real PITA.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts