Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some people ask about this, so I thought I would gauge the interest.

Anyone intersed in a group buy for unfinished 3 peice rim halves to make your 14"+ 2/3 peice rims to 17", 18" or bigger?

These parts will need machining to fit your particular centers and then assembly. Lots of work, but can work out great.

It is important to know exactly what the specs are of your centers before sizing your hoop widths and trying this project.

See my 84 16s to 85 17s on my site.

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
well like I said before, if you know a place to get custom hoops I'm in for a couple 15 inch hoops :D

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
well not to sabatoge your gb ( I don't think this does) but I just found this place in Abottsford BC,

http://www.kodiakracingwheels.com/

They can make rim halves in any size you want, not to mention custom wheels. Their normal prices on 16x8s are the same as the GB price for Compomitives. Might be a good option for some for wheels as well. Anyways, I'm good to go to get my 15 inch lips now, and they're only a 10 minute drive from my house! :lol: (Compomotive in the uk is who I was going to go with before)

·
Premium Member
8,255 Posts

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's cool SupraFiend, another source. Most places are too expensive and/or too far.

Every source we can find helps.

I just started the thread because everyone asks me about the wheel parts and what I did.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
SupraFiend said:
well not to sabatoge your gb ( I don't think this does) but I just found this place in Abottsford BC,

http://www.kodiakracingwheels.com/

They can make rim halves in any size you want, not to mention custom wheels. Their normal prices on 16x8s are the same as the GB price for Compomitives. Might be a good option for some for wheels as well. Anyways, I'm good to go to get my 15 inch lips now, and they're only a 10 minute drive from my house! :lol: (Compomotive in the uk is who I was going to go with before)
I was in discussions with Kodiak late 2002.

They can make anything we want.

Pricing would be near Compomotive, depending on quantity.

They can also do custom centers. I also see that they
can now do forged centers.

They are not DOT legal, which you may need to sign a disclaimer.
DOT testing would dramatically increase his pricing.

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
their standard prices for 16x8 0 offset wheels with any center design is the same as group buy pricing on compomotives, group buy pricing from them should be much cheaper. I've been meaning to get over to there one of these weekends and investigate that further.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Usually when a wheel company does not offer DOT legal street wheels means that the wheels are too soft to handle the normal everyday driving. And they expect the wheels to be taken off after every weekend to be inspected and sometimes even replaced - something which I know 99.9% of you will never do.

The 1% that do inspect their wheels every weekend... dayam get a life! :lol: I know I used to do it every month when I autocrossed, but that got old really quick.

Make sure you get DOT legal if you plan on using the wheels for the street. Can mean the difference between driving for several years vs. having your tire drive past you.

Regards,
James

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
Kodiak will ask you what the wheels are to be used for. They make everything themselves to your specs. For street wheels them make them a little thicker

·
Super Moderator
8,611 Posts
The Kodiak wheels I've seen aren't really what I'd call a "good" looking wheel. If Compomotives are the same price I choose Compomotive everytime. I've yet to see the Kodiaks on a street driven car. They look like they emphasize function over looks IMHO.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kodiak told me in order to get a discount on rim halves we need to buy 20 pieces on a particular size. That means we would need enough people to buy 5 sets of inners or outers.

They did mention if we bought 10 sets of complete wheels we would get something close to a 46% discount. All depending on wheel size. Custom center designs available at an additional cost, depending on design maybe not too much more.

I will definetly draw up a center close to the stock MKII Ptype design and see if it is viable. I think the only problem we may have is if they can make a center that is concave in design, not flat?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts