Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked-out this company's website today for Toyota applications. Not sure if this unique, but I thought I'd post it for general info anyway.

It looks like they offer ring & pinions for several Toyota diffs, and actually list our "vintage" cars: http://www.precisiongear.com/toyring.htm

Is this new info / has anybody used them?

·
Registered
102 Posts
they list a 5.71 with precision... would suck on highway but damn the low-end torque! pull trees from the ground.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i've heard of yukon gear too...it's too bad the lowest ratio you can get is 4.10
Why - Do you want more top end?

they list a 5.71 with precision... would suck on highway but damn the low-end torque! pull trees from the ground.
Yeah - I wonder what this gearing would net you in the 1/4 mile times.

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
Tom, most of the guys that are swapping turbo engines want higher gear sets (thing 3.73 or 3.58) and that's where the aftermarket guys fail us. 4.10 ratios would be fine if replacing that ratio or stepping down from a 4.30. And yes, as mentioned Yukon gear also goes to 4.10...but no lower :sadbanana:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Why - Do you want more top end?

Yeah - I wonder what this gearing would net you in the 1/4 mile times.
i dont know but im thinking with a few mods it could easily lift the front off the ground :zzzzz:

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Anyone running a swapped motor would want 3.91 or lower. And as far as the 5.71 gears, you guys realize this diff was also used in 4x4 Toyota trucks, so that's what those high gearings are for.....larg tires on 4x4's.

BTW if you used a 5.71 in 1/4 mile, you'd probably run a low 14....maybe a high 13, but your trap speed would be like 80mph.

Lastly....you will never pull the front wheels off the ground. These are IRS cars, not solid axle cars. We do not have a means of transfering rotational axle torque to the frame in a way that would lift the wheels.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Lastly....you will never pull the front wheels off the ground. These are IRS cars, not solid axle cars. We do not have a means of transfering rotational axle torque to the frame in a way that would lift the wheels.
Hmmm ... might have to make this a personal gaol, just because you say it can't be done :naughty:

And, if your statment is true ... how do IRS MKIV's pull the wheels ... might want to think, before you speak :eekfacepalm:

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
Hmmm ... might have to make this a personal gaol, just because you say it can't be done :naughty:

And, if your statment is true ... how do IRS MKIV's pull the wheels ... might want to think, before you speak :eekfacepalm:
Oh shit...what eva! :eekfacepalm: MkIV's pull the wheels....with transbraked 1200 hp bottle launches. :zzzzz: See if you can keep an axle under that car trying to prove him wrong. :naughty: I think Armin was referring to the general dynamics of IRS vs. solid axle. There is a difference in energy transfer between the two obviously.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Oh shit...what eva! :eekfacepalm: MkIV's pull the wheels....with transbraked 1200 hp bottle launches. :zzzzz: See if you can keep an axle under that car trying to prove him wrong. :naughty: I think Armin was referring to the general dynamics of IRS vs. solid axle. There is a difference in energy transfer between the two obviously.

You sir, at least define why ... if anyone is going to make a blanket statement, they need to justify said statement. While -- I -- understand, we have waaayyyy tooooo many NOOBS here, that do not. So, I get to play B.S police ... got a problem with that ? :mfinger:

And, if I get air under the front tires at all, it pulled the wheels ... I have thought it through, and believe i can ... now, will the budget ever allow it is yet to be determined.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
You sir, at least define why ... if anyone is going to make a blanket statement, they need to justify said statement. While -- I -- understand, we have waaayyyy tooooo many NOOBS here, that do not. So, I get to play B.S police ... got a problem with that ? :mfinger:

And, if I get air under the front tires at all, it pulled the wheels ... I have thought it through, and believe i can ... now, will the budget ever allow it is yet to be determined.
Did you just call me a NOOB???
I'll be waiting for you to pull wheels off the ground with traction and power alone. Let us know when you succeed....k, thnx, bye! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
You sir, at least define why ... if anyone is going to make a blanket statement, they need to justify said statement.
"We do not have a means of transfering rotational axle torque to the frame in a way that would lift the wheels."

I thought that right there ^^^ pretty much explained it. Although I can draw it out with paper and pencil if you like.

·
Registered
906 Posts
On my way out the door ... reread my NOOB post ... not you. You have message elsewhere with better explanation. I'm not publicly giving away my secrets :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts