Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scenerio:
Well last weekend I completely dissassembled my head to change the gaskets. During the process, I took a closer look at my valve springs to notice that the rocker arms were weared down pretty bad. On my last oil change I noticed some metal chunks that drained out, comes to figure that they were from the rocker arms. So now I'm going to replace them but I've been getting some steep prices. The cheapest estimate I got was $120(used, but refinished) And also the lash adjusters are old and are hard as hell to push in. We cleaned a few of them and they move alot more freely.. I wen ahead and also got quoted for those and it came out to be around $700 for new ones. I was wondering if i should just keep the old ones (cleaned out) or if should purchase new ones along with new rocker arms. My simple gasket change lead my to do a complete head overhaul.. I was also read that constant overheating, which is a problem i've been dealing with, is caused because the lash adjusters dont engage all the way in.. Shouldn't they work fine if i clean them out and polish?!
-melvin AKA MeLLy MeL

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would look into getting a second head at a junkyard. I have seen them here in Connecticut for $100. Find a decent head at the j-yard and use the two heads to make one good one, you should be able to pick the better components of each and end up with a pretty solid head. Just an idea, but $700 seems ludicrous for new components.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that idea was also in mind and thats how I got and estimate for the rocker arms. A yard in Lynnwood, Wa. specialzes in recycilng old Toyota & Lexus vehicles.. So I'm leaning toward their direction. I've heard nothing but great news comming from them. But I'm still unsure about cleaning and reusing my old lash adjusters, we cleaned them to a point where they felt like it would be in working order.
-Melvin

·
Registered
141 Posts
Mine had 156,000 miles on them (lash adjustors) when I rebuilt my head, they seems a bit stiff at first, but I submerged them in a light syntheic oil like 0w20 or something like that and kept working them with the neddle punch like in the TSRM, they seem to be great now as I have virtually no valvetrain noise at all. If you do have some noise after it is said and done it is not that hard to replace the lash adjustor with the head on the car IIRC. Best of luck! :patriot:

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Oi JEEZE!!!!!!!

Rocker Arms in a 5MGE???? Now I'm really getting confused....

Keep in mind that I've seen cutaway drawings of the 5MGE head.....

Hydraulic Tappets, YES...... Rocker arms..... Sure you're not looking at a pushrod V8????? :roll: :roll:

(Sorry.... Can't begin to tell you the number of peeps who think the 5MGE head has rocker arms).

·
Registered
302 Posts
Several shops including my local Toyota dealer as well as the on-line TSRM use the term rocker arm to describe the lifter or if you like cam follower for the small piece between the lash adjuster and the valve keeper.

My sympathies on these being worn I had to look long and hard to find ones at $20 each - the dealer wanted $70.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
The name is sort of misleading, but Toyota does refer to them as rocker arms even though they are more like pivot arms, since they pivot at only one stationary point which is on the top of the lash adjusters. This type of setup is fairly common on overhead cam engines. Some other foreign made engines (Mitsubishi for one) have roller rockers. 8)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I could give a rats ass about whether or not it's called a rocker arm.. When I was reading through the manual it labeled it as a rocker arm. As long as your understood about what your talkin about i can care less about the proper name for parts..
-MeLLy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts