Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if I'm revealing a secret here but I've just discovered a WONDERFUL solution to the rotting rocker molding problem. The MK1 rocker moldings are STAINLESS STEEL with the same profile (or VERY close) and sufficient length to be used on the MK2. Scuff and paint black and you're golden! Just watch out for the stampede to the wreckers to score these off all the MK1 Supras there.

I can't believe I''m the first to discover this - so if anyone has done it and kept it a secret - time to 'fess up.

Bob

·
Registered
313 Posts
you'll have to find an mk1 in junk....
no mk1 imported in europe...
Find one with no rust on the road, follow him and find where he lives.. tin snips + night time = MuahahAhAHAHhAHAhHah!
Imagine finding out about that!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Yeah ive already got a set of those,lol.. Was wondering why no one had tried it before.. I found that 79 MKI in the yard awhile back and grabbed them thinking i would sell them.. The more i looked at them i thought they looked similar..Did a mock up and they turned out pretty good..They will have to be trimmed just slightly but they will fit.. Good find by the way..

·
Super Moderator
10,544 Posts
Good call Bob but mk1s are stupidly rare these days in most places. I posted a similar solution recently that is much more accesable. MX8x Cressidas(89-91) have rocker panel trim that is pretty much the same profile as ours too and its black plastic on the outside overtop of stainless steel! Easy to find these guys anywhere. Here's some pics...

http://www.pbase.com/suprafiend/rocker_mouldings

The back hole even lines up perfectly with ours and the front just needs a little triming and a hole drilled. Should be less work then the mk1 rockers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
New Rocker Panel moldings

I was able to recently order brand new rocker panel moldings for my 84 supra from toyotapartsales from Dallas Texas. Shipped to me for around $225USD just make sure if you order any to call them and tell them to use an extra tuff carboard box. The numpty who packed mine didn't and the moldings showed up slightly bent. I complained and they gave them to me for half price and I was able to straighten them out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts