Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not gonna bore you with a long intro, but give a brief intro to the history of the car. I had 3 mk2 Celica GTs (22RE), so I was no stranger to Toyota's reliability, but the lack of power left me desiring more. After several years looking around for a nice one, I came across this beauty:

I found Scarlet from a dealership up in Bristol CT for $2200 in Nov 09. Great looker, under 100k mi, very clean, in need of maintenance and some minor work.
After a few minor mods, and tons of reading/research, I came to grips with the desire to keep the original motor and add boost. Not looking to build a dragster or the most powerful engine I can, I decided not to go the route of an engine swap (7mgte/1/2jzgte). Just looking to build a well done 300rwhp 5MGTE. I've read through many threads of success and failures boosting a 5m and decided prior to my build, that I would do it right. I originally was going to go the route of:
RRFPR
210cc injectors
Bosch 044 fuel pump
CT-26...
yada, yada.

With more research, I found MegaSquirt 2 to be a better deal, yielding better results without breaking the bank too much, but still better and cheaper than an rrfpr setup.
So here's the parts list:

-84 5MGE block machined down to 20ra bored ".020 over (only because two cylinders were heat scored)
-Stock Safety hyper eutectic coated pistons with Hastings chrome rings
-Stock rods, crank (hot tanked and polished), new OEM bearings (courtesy Mark)
-Cylinder head job (valves & seats reground, bead blasted, mild p&p done by me)
-ARP Head Studs
-1.4mm Titan MLS
-LC-1
-EGT gauge
-Boost gauge
-Stock CT-26 (rebuilt)
-Stock 7mgte IC and pipes
-440cc Injectors (from a 7mgte already cleaned and tested, courtesy Damon)
-3" Raptor DDP
-3" Raptor catback to Magnaflow
-Bosch 044 fuel pump
There's more parts I'm sure I'm forgetting to list, but enough talk, onto the pics:

After a tune-up, cleaned a bit and a few mods and driving her around for almost 2 years, she looked like this the day I started pulling her apart:

Ugly, leaky valve stem seals

Valves out

Putting my 9yr-old to work dropping the oil pan

Not bad

Then I found out she'd been previously rebuilt...

Finally gutted and almost ready for the machine shop

Head cleaned up pretty good with some LPS degreaser before heading out to the shop

But when I picked her up temporarily to do the p&p job, she was a beauty

That's not paint...

Valve job complete

Back from the shop ready for paint

My favorite color- also easy to spot leaks

That look like 20ra to you? Nope, had to take it to a different shop

Some goodies

[Had a minor setback

Setback solved

That's all for now. Too tired to post anymore. I will update as I go. As it stands now, crank and two pistons are in.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
very nice collection of perty parts! looks great man! keep up the great work :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Let me know if you need a hand! One of my friends is building a 6MGTE Cressida at the moment.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let me know if you need a hand! One of my friends is building a 6MGTE Cressida at the moment.
Sure thing, Sam. Ahh, 6MGTE. Sweet

Where is you get your pistons from and how much did they cost also how much wad the machine work?
Local guy, less than $200 w/rings-machine work done locally as well.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update:
MS2 should be here tomorrow :eek4dance:, coaters should be done with some parts later this week.

BOV-Not sure which to go with-any suggestions? I'm looking for a quality piece, not a noisy, ebay piece of junk. I know George has a Greddy Type RZ, I believe. LMK what you guys are using and are happy/unhappy with.

I/C-Gonna use a stock mk3 w/stock piping for now and see how it performs. I have one in very good condition so it should serve me well. For now.

Rad-Mike, I believe you run a stock mk2 rad and previously had overheating problems. Would you attribute that to the rad or some other issue? I'm pulling the whole a/c system, so there'll be no interference from the condenser.

Primed and painted a bunch of parts the last few days. What a task :ugh:. Yet as she comes together slowly, the motivation and drive deepens...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I would recommend just going to an aftermarket intercooler the first time. Route everything once.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would recommend just going to an aftermarket intercooler the first time. Route everything once.
No doubt everything will be routed well, the stock i/c I have is in primo condition. I can easily swap an aftermarket in at a later time. I know the chrome i/cs look good in the front and make a statement as well as perform well :naughty:, but it's not that critical at this point.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
i think Mike had some issues with the radiator probe for the electric fans, im currently using stock radiator and electric fans (controlled by SPAL v3 fan controller) for my 2jzge and it works pretty good.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Rocky, good to hear you are making progress on this build.

The stock MKII rad I have found, and many others also, to be borderline in its ability to keep collant temps stable on 5m/6m turbo builds. On cooler nights and days it keeps up fine, even with a health amount of boosting. On other hot days, I found the temp to rise a bit too quickly and a bit too high for my liking. Keep in mind I also have no AC components in the car, as well as no heater core or routing for one. I also have a large(er) intercooler taking up some real estate in front, but am also running flex-a-lite 410's.

Even though I am going to be a hipocrite saying so, you should upgrade to at leat a stock MK3 rad. You are assembling a well tolleranced and prepped motor, keeping it cool should be a priority if you want to keep any reasonable level of reliability and safety. There are tons of threads on the site of upgrades that work well in the MKII, both factory and aftermarket. If I were you I would spend a tiny bit more coinage and keep your cooling efficiency as high as possible. That way you can have alot more fun with more ease of mind. You shouldn't have to glance at your coolant temp gauge just driving around, worrying that you are peaking your limits. It takes alot of the fun and enjoyment out of the ride...

-Mike

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i think Mike had some issues with the radiator probe for the electric fans, im currently using stock radiator and electric fans (controlled by SPAL v3 fan controller) for my 2jzge and it works pretty good.
Daily driver or weekender??

Rocky, good to hear you are making progress on this build.

The stock MKII rad I have found, and many others also, to be borderline in its ability to keep collant temps stable on 5m/6m turbo builds. On cooler nights and days it keeps up fine, even with a health amount of boosting. On other hot days, I found the temp to rise a bit too quickly and a bit too high for my liking. Keep in mind I also have no AC components in the car, as well as no heater core or routing for one. I also have a large(er) intercooler taking up some real estate in front, but am also running flex-a-lite 410's.

Even though I am going to be a hipocrite saying so, you should upgrade to at leat a stock MK3 rad. You are assembling a well tolleranced and prepped motor, keeping it cool should be a priority if you want to keep any reasonable level of reliability and safety. There are tons of threads on the site of upgrades that work well in the MKII, both factory and aftermarket. If I were you I would spend a tiny bit more coinage and keep your cooling efficiency as high as possible. That way you can have alot more fun with more ease of mind. You shouldn't have to glance at your coolant temp gauge just driving around, worrying that you are peaking your limits. It takes alot of the fun and enjoyment out of the ride...

-Mike
I was considering the Griffin MK2 George slings, but its got such a heavy price tag. Yet cooling is obviously critical. I know Cee Jay runs a Griffin and he still runs pretty hot, but he also has a working ac system...
Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Actually, I do not have a Griffin, I have the MK3 one from the Chimp. It runs very fine as long as my fans are working! You need to go ahead and take care of it Rocky, really, it is a major piece of mind thing that words can not describe. There's one someone selling a Griffin for like 375 brand new and painted black. Yeah Mike is right and I have said this many times, the 5M/6M turbo runs much hotter than a 7M.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts