Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 83 5m-ge has developed a knock on the bottom end, took to a mechanic to make sure it was the bottom end and not the head, he suggested to replace the rod bearings. Now my problem is i can not decide what bearings to get, well i really don't know witch ones to get was wondering if anyone can help me get the right bearings.

by the way i was looking at the ones on rabid chimp's web site.

thank you,
marco.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you are lucky and caught on soon enough, minimum or no damage will have been done to the crank. If so, only a slight polish should do, but make sure to measure the od's just in case. If the crank was damaged, your need to send it to a machine shop to regrind it, and buy oversize bearings. BTDT just last week. I had to go 0.50 mm over on the rods, and 0.25 mm over on the mains to realign everything. Theres no easy way to figure it out but to open it up.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
DO NOT get new bearings until you know what size you need. You will have to get it checked out by a machine/engine shop to find out what size you will need. Without a machine shop telling you what size you will need, no one will be able to tell you what size you will need. Even after you get the new bearings and put them it, you will need to also platigauge them to make sure you got the right bearings.

Also, if it is rod knock, you should also look into replacing the piston pin bushings since those are also probably shot. And since you are tearing apart the engine, might as well bite the bullet and get a full rebuilt kit and rebuild the engine.

Main and rod bearings are not something to take shortcuts on, or do it half-assed, unless if you like constantly rebuilding your engine, or get lucky the first time.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well if am correct if it was a rod knock would u be able to hear it at idle?

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Sometimes it is a little too quiet to head at idle.

Does the sound only get louder when driving? And what kind of sound does it make, and does it get louder/faster when going up in revs or speed?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
goes up when revving the engine, and it's louder in first gear, but when at cruising speeds u can't hear it at all maybe it's to low to hear.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks to the hand full that helped me out.
now my next question, would it be cheaper to get a decent block than to replace bearings? and also taking my current block to a machine shop so they can tell me what size bearings i need? my plan was, my local pick n pull is having a 50% off sale on the 9th. i was planning on getting a block out of a cressida. total price on block would be around 72 dollars.

what do you all think?

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
thanks to the hand full that helped me out.
now my next question, would it be cheaper to get a decent block than to replace bearings? and also taking my current block to a machine shop so they can tell me what size bearings i need? my plan was, my local pick n pull is having a 50% off sale on the 9th. i was planning on getting a block out of a cressida. total price on block would be around 72 dollars.

what do you all think?
Do you know the history of the block in the cressida? If not, you could just be buying another engine that also needs work. And for $72 you would be well on your way buying a complete re-build kit.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
but say i did damage to the crank would i not be looking at spending a lot more? and what exactly does a rebuild kit include?

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
but say i did damage to the crank would i not be looking at spending a lot more? and what exactly does a rebuild kit include?
And if the crank is also damaged in the cressy, you are in the same boat all over again, but wasted ~$80. It is pretty hard to damage a crank to the point where it cannot be repaired by being turned, this is the reason why there are different sizes for the main/rod bearings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts