Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, been working on the beast and noticed something. The previous owner removed the entire sunroof assembly. There is just a hole in the roof right now. No big deal I figured as he had saved the sunroof assembly. I thought I would just install it and be good to go. Well, Mr. Murphy popped up. Turns out that the previous owner also did some strange work on the sunroof opening. He bent the flange 90 degrees up. In the process, he cracked the roof in one corner. So, do I try to bend the sunroof opening back to the original contours? Or should I just replace the roof? I have both an 83 Celica GT without sunroof and an 83 Supra with sunroof to pull parts from. I am leaning towards just ditching the sunroof and making the car a hard top. Anybody have any ideas or hints or encouragement? I do know that I will have to be very careful when welding in the replacement whichever way I go. Don't want to further bugger up the car with a warped roof panel:eekfacepalm: I will try to get some pics of what I am talking about later today.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info. I may first see if I can bend the metal back to shape and get the crack welded. If I can't, I will look into swaping roof panels from either car I have.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Well, I changed my sunroof car to hardtop by welding/gluing in a panel from a hardtop model into the opening of the sunroof. The sunroof opening was first prepped (so not a double lip) then machined to have a "L" type ledge such that when a panel was placed onto it, the new panel would be flush with the existed roof. Glued in with adhesive like used in door panels, but also welded for strength.

It was a bit of work but not as much as replacing the whole roof cap, or cutting a roof off and replacing at the pillars.

That said, I'd hope you can just bend the sunroof opening back to place, weld, prime, whatever you need to do so you can fit that stock sunroof assembly back. This route will be much easier. Hopefully the sunroof assembly, rails, motor, pan, is all operational.

Good luck!

Don L.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Don,

I would like to see pictures of that if you have them. I like the channel you made for the new plug. It sounds like another way to get it done and sounds very solid too.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Don,

I would like to see pictures of that if you have them. I like the channel you made for the new plug. It sounds like another way to get it done and sounds very solid too.

Jim
I'll see if I have some pics that are reasonably clear, and start a new thread so not to dilute the OP here.

Yes, structurely I am happy with the results, the quality of the paint prep, sanding, paint/clear coat is not so good :)

It'll have to do for now, dedicaed autox car it is. No funds to redo the paint now.

Don L.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Go ahead, muck up my thread. It will keep me from searching:laugh: I am going to try and fix the sunroof opening first. If that doesn't work, your option sounds doable. Like I said, I have both a hardtop celica and a sunroof optioned Supra to pull from.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Change of plans, after looking at the roof and several other issues with the car, the white car is now swapping places with the red car. The white car will now become the parts mule to get the red car up and running. The sunroof opening is way too jacked up to get back into specs. It needs a roof replacement and right now that is beyond my abilities and finances.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts