Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Jason, how do you like this? http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=p-CLc3aXJ8Mir9NwMNCfMcA&hl=en
Anyone can click the link and view, then if they have a google account they can edit if the owner wishes. I can make you an owner if you like. This would be a really slick way instead of the download. Download is still an option though too.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Jason, how do you like this? http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=p-CLc3aXJ8Mir9NwMNCfMcA&hl=en
Anyone can click the link and view, then if they have a google account they can edit if the owner wishes. I can make you an owner if you like. This would be a really slick way instead of the download. Download is still an option though too.
I dig it, though the tire size pull down doesn't seem to work (not that there's really much difference to be seen amongst the choices I put in there)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
How do you get the drop down to work?
If you're looking at the google version, I don't know. If you have the spreadsheet open in excel, you click on the tire size cell (B42) and it shows the pull down button to select a few other tires sizes

225/60-r14
245/45-r16
245/40-r17
255/40-r17
275/40-r17

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
If you're looking at the google version, I don't know. If you have the spreadsheet open in excel, you click on the tire size cell (B42) and it shows the pull down button to select a few other tires sizes

225/60-r14
245/45-r16
245/40-r17
255/40-r17
275/40-r17
Jason, if you change the formula to use inches, we can use http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html to get the circumference pretty quickly. Not sure if you could figure out a better way to switch through them.

Perhaps making a page of each tire size. Then it would be easy to create another page. just duplicate one, and change the circumference.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Spreadsheet updated. Changed formula to use tire diameter in inches rather than circumference in ft. The original formula was just the first one I found so I used it. :D Looks like there's only a slight enough difference in the calcs to have the rounding on a few cells change.

·
POTATO
17,179 Posts
Jason, IIRC the old spreadsheet had a 4.10, W58 car topping out @ 146mph, now it is listed at 148mph, do you know what changed? I know it's just a 2mph difference, but inquiring minds want to know :p

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Jason, IIRC the old spreadsheet had a 4.10, W58 car topping out @ 146mph, now it is listed at 148mph, do you know what changed? I know it's just a 2mph difference, but inquiring minds want to know :p
I couldn't figure out where/how I got the formula I used on the original, so when I started searching for it I found what I'm using now. What I see in the old one look like a number close to the final drive ratio but not quite right, and I have no idea how I came up with it.

For example, in version 1, 5th gear w/ 4.3 diff I had:

rpm / 3.44 x 0.0739

but the final drive ratio is 0.783 x 4.30 = 3.37 so I'm not really sure what I did off-sheet to get 3.44. This time I wrote the formula on the side of the sheet so I won't confuse myself again if I revisit it after another 5 years. :duh:

Version 2 used mph = (rpm * tire circumference in FT.) / (gear * differential * 88)
Version 3 uses mph = (rpm * tire diameter in inches) / (gear * differential * 336)

The 2 latest formulas give results less than 1mph apart so I'm guessing they're more accurate than whatever I was doing in the first one.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Sorry about reviving an old thread....I read all 10 pages and found it quite interesting to read all 93 posts. But my one question is this... where do you get all the different ratios/transmissions? Like what cars etc and on a particular MKII is there a way to tell what the original transmission is for that car. I would of course assume on the diff itself but any particular coding or even easier a coding through the VIN#?

·
Registered
217 Posts
BTW does anyone run the R154 diff with 225/60/14 tires? I want to know the difference in MPG between the stock (5M-GE) and as well as the stock upgraded 7M-GTE

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Sorry about reviving an old thread....I read all 10 pages and found it quite interesting to read all 93 posts. But my one question is this... where do you get all the different ratios/transmissions? Like what cars etc and on a particular MKII is there a way to tell what the original transmission is for that car. I would of course assume on the diff itself but any particular coding or even easier a coding through the VIN#?

so our mkII's have different options? how do we know what year?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
What year, is your car, and is it an original 5spd or an Auto? If you search you can find the answer. It's located on your data plate on your firewall.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
What year, is your car, and is it an original 5spd or an Auto? If you search you can find the answer. It's located on your data plate on your firewall.
mine is an 84 original , was an automatic (body), i did the 5 speed swap (85 5mge + w58).

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
From that chart it WOULD IT ? be safe to deduce that all mk's either came with a 41 or 43 tooth RING, and either an 11, 12, or 13 tooth PINION? Now.... question... is it possible to take a 4.30 RING and merge it with any old 12 tooth Pinion?? Other than getting the gears meshed properly would this be a problem? Either way that'd get me either a 3.42 or a 3.58, NOT bad ... plus I'd see another 20% on my mileage!! (Though 25mpg @ 75mph & 400hp aint bad, I'd love to see 30mpg)

81 - 100 of 121 Posts