Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced a part in the supra that required taking the distributor out. The car runs but not great. Sometimes it idles down and then dies and when its running the car shakes horribly and it putters. Bringing the rps up and it sounds like a small backfire every now and then and it smells pretty rich. I am thinking the timing maybe off a tooth or two but i am not sure the car has never acted this way and i skimmed through search but found nothing.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Use a timing gun and find out if the timing is off and then ask if there are any other problems. How are we suppose to provide any assistance if you have not even tried to verify if the timing is off?

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
It is off one tooth on the distributor. It happens often when you remove the dist. on the 5mges. To test it with out removal again loosen the distributor and rotate it all the way to one side to see if it runs better.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
i have it to where it does not die in idle however i took it for a drive and it still sputters and runs rich and a little rough. Does this mean i just need to adjust the angle of the dist.? Its at the point where if the bolt hits ether end of the dist. bolt slot it dies.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
What does the timing gun say you are at?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haven't got a hold of one and i am not sure how to use it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is some more information that might clear things up.
Car now dies in idle if no gas is given.
Bringing the rps up has a grumbling sound to it.
While driving when you gun it it lays down and has no increase in power and shakes.
shaking when the grumbling sound.
havent checked with timing gun might take it to a mechanic shop for the facts i dont know how to fix this problem or to use a timing gun to check if that is the problem.

·
Registered
322 Posts
yo man, you gotta buy or borrow a timing gun, they don't rent them.

This if for the inductive light only, and it has directions with it anyway, but fuck it.

To use, mark the 10 BTDC mark that is behind the crankshaft pulley, on the front of the engine, with white out. You only need to mark the number 10, don't white out all the way to the edge. just a white square is fine.

Mark the two notches on both sides of the crankshaft pulley itself as well, with the whiteout.

warm up your car. if it doesn't start.. then fix that.

you put the timing lights' big clamp AROUND the #1 spark plug wire, then attach the red clamp to positive terminal on the battery, and the black clamp to a ground.

You don't have to align anything, then start the engine, go over to the gun, pick that shit up and hold the power button while pointing it down at the marks, and the marks appear stationary, because the light blinks in the with the #1 spark, and makes a strobe.
Now if they are in line, the white marks will be in line. If you have your distributor hold down bolt loose, you can turn the distrib and the crank pulley mark will move back and forth, going farther out of line or more inline depending. At that point you'll figure out the rest.

Now if its not 10degress BTDC that you want it timed to, mark where ever you want with that whiteout. I'm not sure what is correct yet. check my thread. good luckk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts