Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a stock 5MGE that has always ran a little rich. The fuel pump went out about 2 months ago. got a used one from a 7M and it ran again, but not different from prior to the pump exchange. Lately it has had a slight miss if you punched it. It gradually got worse until a couple of nights ago ran like crap. the next morning my wife left in it to go to school and the accelerator was unresponsive periodically. she sputtered home and now it wont run. Checked the DTC and got a code 23. AIR INTAKE THERMO SENSOR. If i spray starting fluid in the intake AND hold the door in the afm open it will run until the starting fluid runs out. If i dont hold the door to the afm open it wont run. I shorted the connector for the fuel pump and you can hear it kick on. Is there any way to narrow this down more so im not just throwing money at it. i am going to replace the fuel filter just to see.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Intake Air Thermo Sensor = IAT, which is the little white thing hanging down in the airstream at the filter side if the AFM opening. If you could swap in a known good AFM from someone else's car, that would be a good start for diagnosis.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Hey, if you want me to stop by tomorrow or saturday to try swapping AFM's, I'm down.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Wait a sec - you shorted the connector to make the fuel pump run. With the key on, engine off you should be able to also kick on the fuel pump by opening the flapper door on the AFM all the way. If it doesn't, and combined with your trouble code, I'm thinking you just need another AFM.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts