Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange thing with my 84...Bought it with 93k on the clock, very near excellent condition (previous owner undercoated and had the paint xtra clearcoated for rust protection) from a dealership up in Bristol CT.
With such low mileage, you'd think the car was all hunky dory, right?
Not so-I've got rust in the coolant, and pretty bad. No foaming, no pulsing (with hand over open radiator cap while running), coolant doesnt smell like exhaust, yet all my hoses are coated with a nice layer of rust on the insides.
What gives?
I can only think of a blown head gasket, but wouldn't the coolant smell like exhaust?

I've got a 84 Celica GT with 171k on it sitting in my backyard with major body damage but with the greenest coolant and a 22RE that starts up in the drop of a dime...
...pisses me off...:32:

·
Registered
684 Posts
my first car was a 83 L-type...rust in the coolant..previous owner had water in there...and the water ate away the water pump...all the fins were gone...i suggest flush it out really good and change the water pump and stat.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Electrolysis from never flushing the coolant.

Keep in mind factory Toyota coolant is red and it may just look a lot worse than it really is...

Time to hook her up to the flush machine at the dealer.

At 94k miles your car may need a lot of routine maintenance.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my first car was a 83 L-type...rust in the coolant..previous owner had water in there...and the water ate away the water pump...all the fins were gone...i suggest flush it out really good and change the water pump and stat.
Good idea, I'll do that along with swapping out all the coolant hoses.

Electrolysis from never flushing the coolant.

Keep in mind factory Toyota coolant is red and it may just look a lot worse than it really is...

Time to hook her up to the flush machine at the dealer.

At 94k miles your car may need a lot of routine maintenance.
True, but I flushed her out at home with a hose, cycled a few gallons of green coolant in (to really get a feel of the magnitude of rust) over and over again and she's still rusty as can be. I'm thinking your right about routine maint. I'm gonna start doing that along with the hoses, stat & wp.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Strange thing with my 84...Bought it with 93k on the clock,
With such low mileage, you'd think the car was all hunky dory, right?
Not so-I've got rust in the coolant, and pretty bad.
This post just cracks me up! Should probably flush and fill with antifreeze every 15-20 years whether it needs it or not.

·
Registered
663 Posts
This post just cracks me up! Should probably flush and fill with antifreeze every 15-20 years whether it needs it or not.
Lol... It could be time for an oil change too. :laugh:

Seriously though, to the OP, a car's coolant is more time sensitive than mileage sensitive. And yeah, routine maintenance can go a long way towards keeping your car in good shape.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'd flush my coolant every 4-5 years. it generally has a 50-60,000 kilometer life span for regular antifreeze, and more like 100,000 kilometer life span for the long life antifreeze. but that's assuming the car travels 15-20,000 kilometers a year.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
also can turn that color and condition when the car overheated, good idea to flush the system, replace thermostat, water pump, hoses and the radiator cap.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
if your concerned with the rust inside the motor, you can fill the car with distilled water and clr and run it for a little while, then flush and fill with good coolant and distilled water. or just buy 50/50.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
My car had 35,000 miles on it (10 years ago!) when I bought but it had been sitting for quite a while. The coolant was flushed about 5 times but after running a week or so still looked like chocolate milk. Eventually I had to just put another engine in it.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Always use distilled water, never tap water.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts