Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if the mar-hyde one step i belive it is called is any good at preventing rust it make's it into the black selant and i wanted to know if that would be a good choice for surface rust if i'm just gonna paint over it let me know about that and how it holds up or if i should stay far away from it thanks.

Dan

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
y

If you have surface rust get it down to bare metal if too much rust bondo if rust under back seats popular place grind down put por 15 in it to seal it also above the wheel wells

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
i used Metal Prep 79 and it worked great. 6 years and no rust yet. I used the one step last night actually, painting my buddy's trailer. We'll see how that turns out. I the one step then grinded, ,used more then grinded some more. Finally used it and sprayed over it.

Christian

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
use the one step then gring or grind then use the one step and then grind again then one step again???

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so por-15 is what i should go with and not the mar-hyde one step??? and also do i have to paint after i use por-15 cuase i'm not ready to paint i just wanna prevent more rust where it already is. alright thanks

Dan

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I've used both MarHyde and POR-15.

I prefer POR-15, especially for the underside
as it has the factory black look.

I do know that POR-15 does require painting on
surfaces exposed to sunlight.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i don't have the time or money to paint but want to seal the rust how can i go about this which would be the best bet or what do i have to do to use the sealant and avoid painting cause i'm not ready to paint thanks.

Dan

·
Registered
123 Posts
POR15 doesn't *need* to be coated if exposed to sunlight. It doesn't do anything to the effectiveness of the product itself, rather it makes the gloss disappear and the finish just becomes matt.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thats for the info on the sunlight. but if i do let it in the sunlight and the gloss dissappears would i be able to put more on when i do decide to paint it so it's not matt?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sure, you can paint more or the POR15 over it, just like normal paint. If its cured like that, it'll need a clean and to be keyed (rubbed back with fine paper) to give the next coats something to adhere to. POR15 is particularily fussy about this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts