Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a few tiny little rust spots on car in a bunch of places.. I was wondering if i could just whip out the old sand paper, sand away the rust, then repaint over it with a little spray paint or something. Would this work? would i need some primer on there too? i just can't stand these little tiny spots on the front of my hood. Oh and also work for bigger rust spots.. about the size of a nickel? if this in fact would work in the first place :) Thanks.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Sure it will I was just doing the same on my car
as long as you just do the tiny spot no problem. Just make sure you get all the rust out, then when you have done enough get alcoholl to remove any dust and grease, next mask it with 3m tape or body tape ,newspapers ect.... and coat with primer... lots of coats to get back to the same level as the rest of the paint.
Let it dry in the sun for a day and Next day sand even with thin grade sand paper 1500 or 2000 and mask and paint.
if you dont know how to use body filler dont cause it is very messy and a nightmare if not done properly.
just lots of coats of primer will do.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I'll add one more step. After removing all the rust put on a chemical treatment. Metalprep 79 works great. It's available at any good paint shop fro about $15. Lasts a long time. It treats the metal and converts any remaining rust into something else (don't really know what). It also etches the metal, which helps the primer stick to it. Then follow Dzone's steps.

Christian

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help guys.. but one more question Dzone. Is that metalprep 79 pretty much just like a metal cleaner that you wipe off after you put it on? Who makes metalprep stuff too?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I'm assuming you meant to ask this to me. Metalprep 79 is made by Henkel Surface Technologies. It's a cleaner/rust converter/metal etcher. You apply it, let it sit for 2-5mins, making sure it doesn't dry. Then rinse off with water and dry. Depending on the type of steel, it will either turn it gray or yellowish. The first time I used it and it turned yellow, I was like" NO! Rust already?! But it;s totally normal.

Christian

·
Registered
517 Posts
:shock: holly cow did you say water!
So this metel prep is applied after you sand/out the rust to bare metel.?

Hey (Since we are on the subject) I have heard good things about Rustmort does anyone know how it works and when to apply?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts