Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there all.

I know there was a file for this on the yahoo group but I went there and couldn't find it. If anyone could help I would appreciate it. This was also posted on Supraforums but people just said to go to the yahoo group.

Again here is the question. I have a 83 Supra with a 5mge (just in case any one was wondering what is init). I would like to put a APEXi S-AFC on it. I am wondering if I can use any version(old knob style, last blue screen version or even the new version 2 of the blue screened one)? And do I need to get one for a certain car(MKIII?)? And does anybody know how the wiring goes. I just want to make sure I get the right unit. I have heard of it being done. Im sure I can figure the wiring if I need to. But I just want to make sure I get the correct model of AFC to do it.

This is the setup that is going into my 79 MGB roadster so I have eliminated all unneeded wiring for the engine like shity emisions.

I am also just looking at going standalone engine managment and do all my own tunning. Better for turboing the 5mge.

I also have one onther question. I would like to know if I can use any cluch for the W58 tranny. Im thinking of a 3 disk from a MKIV if it is possible to use it. Or can I only use the 7mgte clutches and will a flywheel from a MKIII or MKIV? If the cluch slave is a problem I am thinking about getting a MKIV tranny to mount to the 5mge this way the slave will be located properly.

Any help on these maters would help. And I have searched thru the Supraforums and the yahoo group list for answeres to these questions.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Any version of the S-AFC will work on the 5M-GE. Its my understaing that they are universal in application tho.

Full Standalone if another option that you could use, tho I think that it would really be overkill unless you are looking to really just build a sickeningly powerful 5M.

Another route you could go is the AFM to MAF conversion buy I have organized. The details are in the Group buy thread, but in a nutshell, it replaces the AFM with a MAF sensor, and allows more tuning than any of the S-AFC's offer.

AS for the W-58 clutches... yes, any of them will fit. I am going to be using a clutchfor a W-58 from a Mk IV. The only real difference in them is that the mk III and IV W-58 clutches are little bigger.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Clutches......

You can probably use the 7MGE clutch/pressure plate (we already know that the 7MGE flywheel will work on the 5MGE), but you can NOT use a 7MGTE clutch on your 5MGE... Different design & the 2 are not compatible. :(

HTH. :?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. These do help. This drivetrain is being swaped into a 79 MGB roadster. It is a little two seater convertable. I am just going for unreal power. I have my motor torn down and I am just waiting for my JE pistons. When they come it will all go to the machine shop to get the machine work and to be ballanced. I need to figure out the clutch situation though. I need to figure out flywheel so I can get it all ballanced. I am thinking of just getting a 6 speed from a MKIV. This way I can get better clutches.

As far as turbos go im not sure yet. I have been looking for either a HKS or Greddy TT set up I could buy or ealse I will have a new manifold built and just go with a larger turbo. I have everything for a stock ct26 setup and I might run that for a while because I would love to at least get it running. Till I find or decide what I want. I did look at the Greddy 5MGE that toysports has but they want close to $10000 for it. I got my whole MKII for $50 bucks and I could build a hell of a lot more motor for $10K.

And as far as the S-AFC I will eventully go to a standalone engine computer. Till then I will run a S-AFC. I will got standalone when I do more turbo then the ct26. I am getting a new digital camera soon. Then I will update my webpage and add the link to my signature. And I do know about the AFM to MAF. I am on Surparforums alot but for some reason I can't post any threads or replys. And I haven't had any responses for help in numeros emails. I am not complaining about it though. I like the forum a lot and it has helped me with numerous things. And it got me to go the MKII route versous a MKIV setup.

Thanks for all the help. And I will try to get more pics soon.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
MG-Supra said:
Thanks for the responses. These do help. This drivetrain is being swaped into a 79 MGB roadster. It is a little two seater convertable. I am just going for unreal power. I have my motor torn down and I am just waiting for my JE pistons. When they come it will all go to the machine shop to get the machine work and to be ballanced. I need to figure out the clutch situation though. I need to figure out flywheel so I can get it all ballanced. I am thinking of just getting a 6 speed from a MKIV. This way I can get better clutches.

As far as turbos go im not sure yet. I have been looking for either a HKS or Greddy TT set up I could buy or ealse I will have a new manifold built and just go with a larger turbo. I have everything for a stock ct26 setup and I might run that for a while because I would love to at least get it running. Till I find or decide what I want. I did look at the Greddy 5MGE that toysports has but they want close to $10000 for it. I got my whole MKII for $50 bucks and I could build a hell of a lot more motor for $10K.
Two things here...

That 6 speed tranny, unless you have a custom bell housing made, will not bolt to the 5M-GE.

The other thing... a ct-26 motivated 5M-GE will surprise you... wait till you have it together and run it before going with a bigger turbo... I think you will be pleasantly surprised....especially in a car as light as the roaster...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I just found out that the 6 speed from the MKIV won't work.

As far as the tubo go's. I am starting with the stock ct-26 just to work the bugs out of eveything. I have been doing more research and I might just upgrade the ct-26 but we will see after it is running. Thanks for the help though.

·
Registered
430 Posts
the wiring for the SAFC is in the yahoogroups MK2 files section. I know becasue I put it there :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eric

Maybe Im just dumb or sumthin but I cant find it. I log in and then click on the files list on the left. There are no files here but I am thinking that this is supposed to be files I add. Where is the other files list located. Do I need to go somewhere ealse. Thanks for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts