Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I thought perhaps you would be interested in hearing about an "incident" that I experienced yesterday when my '84 MK II saved me from serious injury or perhaps worse.

I was traveling westbound on a generally east-west two-lane and approaching an intersection at about 40-45 mph. Just as I got to the intersection, an S.O.B. coming the other way made a left turn right in front of me. It happened so fast that I can't even tell you what kind of car it was, except that it was white. I am proud to say that at the age of 70 my reflexes are apparently undiminished, because looking back I cannot say that any conscious thoughts went through my mind; I just acted. I realized that slamming on the brakes would do no good, as I would surely still hit the other car in the left rear door or left rear quarter. Also, the fact that the Mark II exhibits trailing throttle oversteer must have also percolated up from my subconscious as I did not even lift my foot from the throttle. I racked the wheel over to the left and aimed for a point that I hoped would be clear of the other car by the time I arrived there. I am alive, unharmed, and able to report that the Lotus designed suspension worked flawlessly, and the car went exactly where I pointed it without any complaints or any tendency to swap ends. I missed the other car, slalomed back the right to return to my travel lane, and went on my way. Perhaps my heart rate was a little elevated( Ya think!), but otherwise myself and the car were unharmed.

The MK II Supra has to be the best car for the money of that era, and probably should be included in the handful of best cars at any price. I think I will call my attorney to have my will changed and have myself buried in mine!

Best Holiday wishes,

Bob from New Jersey

·
Premium Member
7,595 Posts
Bob, experience and knowledge go a long way Sir!! Glad your AOK!!

Proves that mature drivers know what to do and have the ability to avoid an accident that 90+% of the drivers out there would NOT have avoided...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Glad to hear we did not lose another MkII and that you are ok too Bob.

Seriously, glad you escaped without harm in what could have been much worse without your experience, knowledge and your attention to the task at hand.

Best wishes to you and yours during the holidays.

David

·
Premium Member
5,505 Posts
Yes! Your skill shows!
It saved you and you saved your Supra. I would be proud as well.

My Supra brakes saved me last month. They are KILLER brakes!
A big SUV slid over to my lane as I was passing @ 40 MPH.
Slammed on the binders and went to 15 MPH in 2 seconds.
Yeah,I flat-spotted the front tires.
It has a LOT of front brake bias.
Stickier tires on just the front would have helped.
Ask Rob. Gargravarr

1 - 4 of 4 Posts