Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought a stickied thread or something along those lines with search tips in there for the newcomers would be helpful. You know all those little quirks such inserting "and" between words to get a search that contains both words and not just one or the other, what "" can be used for in a search etc etc... I don't think even I know all the different search commands on CS and some search engines are different.

Just an idea

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
wow this is like the first good suggestion in a long time....lol...great suggestion, if wasn't a retard i would like to make this happen, but i am and i dont' know all the search commands.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Search for Keywords:
You can use AND to define words which must be in the results, OR to define words which may be in the result and NOT to define words which should not be in the result. Use * as a wildcard for partial matches
The text above is directly from the search page itself.

Examples: (typed into the SEARCH keyword box)

intake AND pipe
if you're trying to find something that has a two word name like: "intake pipe" or "exhaust manifold" or "head gasket"

wheels OR rims
if you're trying to find something specific, but you know some people refer to them by a different or slang name

shocks NOT shock
so the search isn't showing a post that has something like "Imagine my shock when I found a puddle of oil...."

Also, remember...when you get search results you're likely going to see a couple pages of them, so be patient and look for the message threads that are most likely to have what you want. Search works and it eliminates a lot of unnecessary posts.

Good luck! :D

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow... Im glad my little idea was accepted so well :D

one question, if I am looking for a phrase is there any way to do that, simmilar to how a in a search engine you can use quotes,

example: "how to clean an EGR"

???

·
Registered
999 Posts
Toyman: I guess you could put 'and' between every word. Quotes don't seem to work.

If you're trying to find a specific thread that you've seen before, try to remember as much text from it as possible.
If you can type 80% of somebodys post in the search box thread you're looking for should come up pretty close to the top.

That's the only tip I could think of, but it's helped me a few times.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
try checking the box that says "search for ALL terms enterred" instead of the one that says "search for ANY terms enterred". This makes all the difference between getting 4 pages of irrelevant results and getting just 4 relevant results. Untill I discovered this, search seemed useless to me.

·
Registered
347 Posts
How about creating a popup window or message, to new users when they register, suggesting them to use the SEARCH feature for questions; and they must check a box in the message/window confirming that they read it to complete the register. (a simple and short message)
it's just a thought since I've seen so many post telling someone to use the SEARCH button.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Options while the search is down...

I know that the search is down as far as the user friendly, "one click" goes, but if you right click the search button and choose "Open link in new tab/window" you can still search!!

So give it a try

·
Registered
809 Posts
Can this thread be fleshed out with some of the other advice that has been dished our over the last year, and made a category instead of a thread in the suggestion box? Newbies won't know to look here. This is more an area for veterans to make suggestion. I know we have tons of categories on the Forums home page already, but old dogs would be saved a lot of grief if the information is placed front and center when you first open the site. Searching is tricky, and let's face it, the search function is not exactly google quality. It could be made a colored link with one or two words, rather than a title or category there. Put it in the margin or along the top.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
For some reason when I search now, it replaces my AND's with OR's, meaning if I type "85 AND L-type AND wheel" it searches for "85 OR L-type OR wheel" which obviously does not give good results. Anybody else having this issue/know a solution?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
not for me it doesn't. I put the AND in there because the system still automatically inserts an OR between each word if I just type "85 L-type wheel". When the search results pop up, look in the blue box atop the results and it will list the search terms and operands used by the engine. I thought this was supposed to be fixed as well. It sounds like it might be set in my preferences, but if so I can't figure out how to set it back.

·
Registered
990 Posts
All of the advice above is necessary and has been helpful to me and many others in the past.

However, the first step to a successful search is ensuring that the author of the thread creates the thread with search in mind. The beauty of this forum is that most anything that can go wrong has been addressed before and some many times over. One of the significant problems that I find is that the author, or those responding to it, use slang terms and grossly misspell key words, without any thought to others that may have the same issue.

PLEASE, if you're creating a thread that you think may be helpful to so other poor soul, use the proper terms and use both the long form AND the abbreviated form (i.e. Idle Speed Control Valve and ISCV, Throttle Position Sensor and TPS).

Also, it's okay to list keywords at the bottom of the thread. Doing so will ensure that others will be able to locate needed information in a timely manner.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
The Supra forums now has an awesome search feature. Check it out, it would be sweet here.

·
Registered
484 Posts
A good alternative is to set up a free google custom search. It's like searching using google, only you constrain the search to only celicasupra.com. For me, the biggest benefit is that it pulls up a few lines of the thread where the search returns a hit. This allows prescreening of the thread rather than haphazardly clicking through a list of thread titles in the existing search.

I've pasted the code google provides below; but it doesn't seem to work work right in this thread. Does work great through my google page (g-mail etc.) Someone smarter with internets would need to make it work here properly.

<div id="cse" style="width: 100%;">Loading</div>
<script src="http://www.google.com/jsapi" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
google.load('search', '1', {language : 'en'});
google.setOnLoadCallback(function() {
var customSearchOptions = {}; var customSearchControl = new google.search.CustomSearchControl(
'005060970030310129575:gfnar38zeyw', customSearchOptions);
customSearchControl.setResultSetSize(google.search.Search.FILTERED_CSE_RESULTSET);
customSearchControl.draw('cse');
}, true);
</script>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="http://www.google.com/cse/style/look/default.css" type="text/css" />

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
^ that's too complicated for me and prob most peeps :whatever:

I've found Google search outperforms the CS search tool, use site:celicasupra.com + key word(s), or just celicasupra.com together with key words.

If you have exhausted the search to the best of your abilities you can start your thread with "Hey guys I couldn't find the answer I'm looking for in my search" or something. Yeah that sucks to have to do but it lets them know you tried.

Something else that might help you, I normally use google search instead of the forum search and usually have better luck finding what I'm looking for. To use google to search the forum type your search in this format...

Hope that helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts