Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh hell yes! Supra-wheel'd Car trailer! Rock and roll!
Hubs now fit on the spindles, ...just need a simple grease seal.
finally I found a use for all those extra supra wheels I have lying around.
One spare will cover all my cars and my trailer!

I need a stock front grease seal with a smaller ID.

Stock: 2.45" Outer, 1.89" Inner

I need: 2.45" Outer, 1.69" Inner

I have looked up everything I know how, searched rockauto to the ends of the earth, went down a pleaded with the Autozone people ("Uh, sir, if you have a part number I can see if we have it"... "I DONT HAVE A GODAMN PART NUMBER, ALL I HAVE IS THREE GODAMN DIMENSIONS")

HOW do you guys find things to fit?

--billyM

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
I've been designing a differential for our formula SAE car at university.

I've been purchasing seals made by chicago rawhide...SKF carries them, so any vendor that carries them should be able to get them. I deal with a local bearing and seal supplier (that's all they sell) but I look up the specs on the SKF website beforehand and give them the specs. I'd be shocked if you can't find what you're looking for using this method.

·
Registered
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NAPA will have them for me by tomorrow afternoon.

Oh hell yea. Now, to find some good 14" trailer tires. I'll be rollin' on P-types.

So, the trailer will be gray, what color for the P-type's? Polished? Painted? Silver or gunmetal centers?

--billyM

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
polished spokes and lip, paint the rest.

i didnt see this thread earlier, otherwise i would have told you to head over to napa. every time i need a seal for a trailer, i take them the old one, they measure it, then look it up in a book and cross reference and give me the one i need. i work at autozone. i can tell you that theres no way for us to put the size you need in the computer, and get a part number, nor do we have a book for that. the only way we can look shit up is with a year/make/model or part number. it sucks.

·
Registered
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You do work at autozone, don't you? Ofcourse if I had a seal I could walk in anywhere and get one, but I needed a specific size that doesn't match up to ANYTHING else. I had an inner diameter and an outer diameter, and all the advanced/autozone tech kept repeating "so, do you know what car it comes off of?"

No I don't know what godamn car a 43mm inner 63mm outer seal comes off of, you're the parts store, you're the one with hundreds of seals on a shelf back there....

Polished/painted sounds good... should I paint a set of rotors silver and leave them on there too?

--BillyM

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
You do work at autozone, don't you? Ofcourse if I had a seal I could walk in anywhere and get one, but I needed a specific size that doesn't match up to ANYTHING else. I had an inner diameter and an outer diameter, and all the advanced/autozone tech kept repeating "so, do you know what car it comes off of?"

No I don't know what godamn car a 43mm inner 63mm outer seal comes off of, you're the parts store, you're the one with hundreds of seals on a shelf back there....

Polished/painted sounds good... should I paint a set of rotors silver and leave them on there too?

--BillyM
i could go into the back of the store and measure every seal we have to see if we have the size you need, but that would take a while, and i doubt you would want to sit there for that. my point was that i cant look up seals with ID/OD sizes in the comp, nor is there a book for that in my store, which is why i suggested going to napa, they will measure the seal and look up the sizes in the book, but since you already had measurements they could have very simply just looked them up and got you the part number you needed. i hate my job. ill never use any of the parts since theyre crap, and cross referencing shit is a pain and sometimes impossible with the computer system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts